Pages

'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday 19 January 2018

8th Annual End of Year Survey 2017



 Hey everyone!

I'm a little late to the party this year since we're already half way through January, but I love doing this survey hosted by Jamie @ Perpetual Page Turner and didn't want to miss it! 2017 was a huge whirlwind and disaster zone for me so it's nice to have this survey to reflect back on and look over all the wonderful books I read and hope to read in 2018!

I decided to skip the 'Your Blogging/ Bookish Life' section this year because I really haven't been all that present here and didn't have much to say.

Number Of Books You Read: 95 - fell short of my reading challenge for the first time!
Number of Re-Reads: Two
Genre You Read The Most From: Young Adult 


1. Best Book You Read In 2017?
Red Sister by Mark Lawrence. A brilliant fantasy that follows a Convent who also happen to be assassins...

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab. I know, don't hate me. I adored Vicious but something about this one just didn't tick all of my boxes.

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read? 
The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas. I knew things were still really bad, but this book gave me a hell of an education and I'm so grateful to Angie for that (but also so fucking angry at people).
 
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
Probably This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay. It talks about his time as a junior doctor in the NHS and it's equal parts funny, disgusting and upsetting. It's one I'd urge you all to read.

5. Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017?
I read a couple of really good opening books to series this year. I think the best one was probably Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake, but I also loved Ash Princess by Laura Sebastian, Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi and Undercover Princess by Connie Glynn. 

Sequel wise, I weirdly didn't read any. That's so bizarre and I hadn't noticed that until just now! Best series ender I only really read one and that's Sarah J. Maas, A Court of Wings and Ruin but I loved it.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2017?
I mean he is by no means new, but new to me and that's Stephen King. I read It and he absolutely blew my mind!

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur. I never read poetry, ever, but I devoured this and looking forward to picking up Milk and Honey.

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Oh my god, Sarah Pinborough's Behind Her Eyes. THAT BOOK IS CRAZY. That ending! Believe the hype because this book is a corker.

9. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Hmm, I'm not a huge re-reader but probably Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake so that I can get stuck into One Dark Throne

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?
Sleeping Beauties by Stephen and Owen King is gorgeous.

11. Most memorable character of 2017?
Pennywise from It. That is one character that I'll never forget ha.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?
A Skinful of Shadows by Frances Hardinge is stunning. Her writing is so lyrical and beautiful.

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?
The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas. She has truly opened my eyes. 

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read?
Can I say It again?

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017?
'i stand
on the sacrifices
of a million women before me
thinking
what can i do
to make this mountain taller
so the women after me
can see farther.

- legacy, Rupi Kaur 

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?
Shortest: In Gratitude by Oliver Sacks (45 pages) 
Longest: It by Stephen King (1,166 pages) 

17. Book That Shocked You The Most
The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Controversial non-fiction relationship between the British people and the NHS.

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
I really liked Lottie and Ellie in Undercover Princess. Such a hilarious friendship.

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
It Only Happens in the Movies by Holly Bourne. Holly is so good at writing teenagers and my heart went through the ringer with this one!

21. Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Again probably The Hate You Give but so worth it.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017?
Harry from It Only Happens in the Movies. Teenage me would have definitely been crushing hard.

23. Best 2017 debut you read?
The Taste of Blue Light by Lydia Ruffles. It was so intriguing and heart-wrenching with some really beautiful writing. 

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Wolf Princess by Cathryn Constable. I felt the chill of Russia through the pages in this sweet middle-grade read.

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
The House at Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne. I am a sucker for anything Winnie the Pooh and it was so nice to go back to my childhood. 

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017?
When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi basically broke me. A non-fiction account of Paul Kalanithi, a doctor who lost his life to cancer, it's not a book that you'll forget about in a hurry. 

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Marlena by Julie Buntin is a brilliant adult debut. 

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Probably When Breath Becomes Air. It's so heartbreaking.

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2017?
The Descent of Man by Grayson Perry purely because there are so few books in circulation that explore how toxic stereotypical masculinity is. It's such an interesting book.

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
The Hate You Give. I'm still fuming.


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018?
Salvage by Alexandra Duncan. This has been on my TBR for years and I really want to read it, so I hope I'll get to it this year.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)?
Iron Gold by Pierce Brown. I adore his writing and can't wait to get stuck back into his world. 

3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Everless by Sara Holland. It sounds like an incredible YA fantasy!

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?
Grey Sister by Mark Lawrence. I can't wait to see what Nonna gets up to next!

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?
To try and post something at least once a month in 2018. Last year was the worst year to date for my blog with a total of 8 posts being written and no reviews... 

6. A 2018 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable):
I Am Thunder by Muhammad Khan. This is such an important read and I really think it will be a huge book for 2018. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).