Pages

'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Thursday 14 July 2016

Top 5 Books: January-June 2016

Hi all! It’s been a little while since I’ve posted properly on here. It’s been difficult to keep it up with my job and also, my laptop conked out so it’s been a case of grabbing some time when I can to get material ready.

I thought I would do a quick round up of my top 5 reads of 2016 so far because these books have been BRILLIANT. It’s a fairly diverse mix of Young Adult and Adult, Contemporary and Fantasy/ Sci-Fi and I’ve found that the majority of them have been real thought provokers. 

All The Rage
Genre: YA, Contemporary
All the Rage 
All The Rage was such a tough but oh so important read. Courtney Summers has written such a hard-hitting, no holds barred young adult novel about rape and society’s attempt to constantly blame the victim. It’s harrowing and emotional; definitely not one to miss.




Morning Star
Genre: Science Fiction
Morning Star (Red Rising, #3)
A conclusion to an epic trilogy. Morning Star sealed the deal and solidified the Red Rising series up there in my list of favourite series’. This book was full of action, drama and it was so intelligently written. A real thought-provoker about politics and war. A true beauty to read and I cannot wait for the Iron Gold trilogy!




The Winner’s Kiss
Genre: Fantasy, YA
The Winner's Kiss (The Winner's Trilogy, #3)
Another fantastic conclusion to a trilogy. The Winner’s Kiss gave me the biggest book hangover for the longest time. I didn’t want to say goodbye to Kestral. This book packed a punch and I loved seeing the story come full circle. Beautifully written and I can’t wait to read more of Marie Rutkoski’s work.



Me Before You
Genre: Contemporary
Me Before You (Me Before You, #1)
This was one I picked up on a whim because of the film – and I really hate watching a film without reading the book first. Me Before You was such a moving, beautiful and funny little book. I laughed, I cried and I couldn’t wait to read more. Another thought-provoker that has raised my awareness about the struggles of a living with a disability.





Underwater
Genre: Contemporary, YA
Underwater
Underwater broke my heart and then put me back together again. This is a book that tackles mental health, agoraphobia in particular and it so, so perfect. As someone who has lived with this, I thought the portrayal was so very real and so important. A beautifully written, hopeful little book; it’s one I want everyone to read.



Have you read any of these books? What are your top 5 books of 2016 so far?

3 comments:

  1. From these 5, I've only read the last one. I KNOW, HOW HORRIBLE OF ME. I will try to read the others. But you know. Time. Sometimes I can't find it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been ages since I've posted on my blog as well. Jobs and real life seem to be getting in the way for a lot of people this year. I adored Me Before You! I still need to get around to finishing Rutkoski's trilogy.

    Ooh, my top 5 books this year so far. Tough question. I think I'd have to go with Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard, ACOMAF by Sarah J Maas, He Will Be My Ruin by K. A. Tucker, Me Before You by Jojo Moyes and November 9 by Colleen Hoover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LEAH! I've missed you ♥ (even though we chatted on FB LOL) I still NEED to read Red Rising and Winner's Curse but both are upcoming for me...I can't wait!

    My top reads of 2016 so far are Raven King, ACOMAF, AGoS, Mistborn: Secret History and Clariel (not counting my current HP reread which beats EVERY BOOK of course LOL)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).