'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Saturday, 2 May 2015

REVIEW: Always the Bridesmaid - Lindsey Kelk

Always the Bridesmaid
Title: Always the Bridesmaid
Author: Lindsey Kelk
Series: None
Publisher: Harper Collins
Source: Review copy
Publication Date: 7th May 2015


Maddie Fraser has never been anything other than the girl in the background: golden boy Dan’s little sister, crazy Shona’s minion, workaholic Sebastian’s ex and now she’s also the girl in the middle of her warring best friends.
Lauren has announced she’s getting married – just as Sarah’s husband asks her for a divorce. Nothing in Maddie’s career in event organising has prepared her for this particular combo of planning and real pain. The news that her ex is also tying the knot is the final straw. While the magazines say she should be leaning in, all she wants to do is sleep in. But whether she likes it or not, everything is about to change for Maddie. For better or worse, this grown-up bridesmaid is taking centre stage…
I'm never not in the mood for Lindsey Kelk. When I heard that she had a new book coming out I was so excited. Lindsey's books always make you feel good and I've had so many inappropriate tube-cackles thanks to this book. Always the Bridesmaid is as fabulous as the I Heart series and About a Girl. I loved it so much. It's one of those books that you could read again and again and never get bored of it. 

Kelk has created such likeable and relatable characters once again. Maddie is just a normal woman and I found myself nodding along to so many of her disasters. I felt like Always the Bridesmaid was a little more slapstick than Kelk's usual work, but this didn't take away from the story. I feel like this could be an amazing Rom-Com film. It's one of those books that you can see unfolding before you as clearly as if you were watching it. I was so sucked into the lives of Maddie, Lauren and Sarah that I really didn't want to leave it.

If you love your books with plenty of feel-good vibes, a huge dose of humour with a slapstick edge, I'd definitely say pick this book up. It's guaranteed to make you laugh out loud on many occasions. Always the Bridesmaid is the perfect pick-me-up and I can't recommend it enough! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).