'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Wednesday, 4 March 2015

REVIEW: The Three - Sarah Lotz

The Three
Title: The Three
Author: Sarah Lotz
Series: The Three #1
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Source: Review Copy
Publication Date: 26th February, 2015


Four simultaneous plane crashes. Three child survivors. A religious fanatic who insists the three are harbingers of the apocalypse. What if he's right? The world is stunned when four commuter planes crash within hours of each other on different continents. Facing global panic, officials are under pressure to find the causes. With terrorist attacks and environmental factors ruled out, there doesn't appear to be a correlation between the crashes, except that in three of the four air disasters a child survivor is found in the wreckage.
Dubbed 'The Three' by the international press, the children all exhibit disturbing behavioural problems, presumably caused by the horror they lived through and the unrelenting press attention. This attention becomes more than just intrusive when a rapture cult led by a charismatic evangelical minister insists that the survivors are three of the four harbingers of the apocalypse. The Three are forced to go into hiding, but as the children's behaviour becomes increasingly disturbing, even their guardians begin to question their miraculous survival...
The Three is perfection on a page. I absolutely loved it and devoured it. I don't get on with hardbacks so have been waiting for soooo long for this book to come out in paperback, and it was definitely well worth the wait! This book was nothing like I expected and everything that I expected at the same time. It's written in the form of a text book and it worked so, so well. I was hooked from the first page and the final page has left me wanting more. Can someone make it May now, please?

I still feel so thoroughly confused and freaked out having finished The Three. I'm still not entirely sure what it was that happened and everything is left up in the air - just the way I like it! Lotz manages to inject so much suspicion and unease in these pages. There is so much confusion and the tension is built beautifully. I really couldn't put it down. I dreaded getting to my tube stop. This was a book that I just wanted to sit with and read and read until it ended. Now that it has ended, I feel a little lost. I was and still am so thoroughly absorbed in the world and I need to learn more!

If The Three is a book that's been on your TBR for awhile, please pick it up. I promise you won't regret it. It's full of conspiracies, intrigue, unsavoury characters and plenty of unreliable narrators to keep you turning the pages. I couldn't get enough. Bring on Day Four! 

1 comment:

  1. I actually started this one a while ago, but I was slightly confused by the way it was written. But, I think I'll definitely have to make a point of picking it up again! You've got me really intrigued, Leah! I'm dying to know what happens now!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).