'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 2 February 2015

REVIEW: Weightless - Sarah Bannan

Weightless
Title: Weightless
Author: Sarah Bannan
Series: None
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Source: Review Copy
Publication Date: 12 March 2015


When 15-year-old Carolyn moves from New Jersey to Alabama with her mother, she rattles the status quo of the junior class at Adams High School. A good student and natural athlete, she’s immediately welcomed by the school’s cliques. She’s even nominated to the homecoming court and begins dating a senior, Shane, whose on again/off again girlfriend Brooke becomes Carolyn’s bitter romantic rival. When a video of Carolyn and Shane making out is sent to everyone, Carolyn goes from golden girl to slut, as Brooke and her best friend Gemma try to restore their popularity. Gossip and bullying hound Carolyn, who becomes increasingly private and isolated. When Shane and Brooke—now back together—confront Carolyn in the student parking lot, injuring her, it’s the last attack she can take.
Sarah Bannan's deft use of the first person plural gives Weightless an emotional intensity and remarkable power that will send you flying through the pages and leave you reeling.

This book destroyed me. It absolutely destroyed me. Try not to read this book in public! It is NOT emotion friendly. I finished it this morning and I still can't get Carolyn out of my head. The way Weightless is written packs one hell of a punch. We never get to know the narrator - not really. The book is written in a format that you never really get to know any of the characters. The narrator refers to herself as 'we'. This book has created an unreliable narrator at her best. I found myself wondering how much of what was said was true, what was swayed by the judgements of those around and I found myself really wanting to get to know Carolyn.

Weightless is a tough read. A really tough read. It tackles head on the issues of bullying and of self harm. It looks at mental health and it shows us how much of an impact we have on each other. Once I'd finished I found myself comparing it to Fifteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. Both have me questioning many things; the way people treat each other, how technology depersonalizes everyone. I had so much sympathy for Carolyn, but I also found I had sympathy for the narrator. Many of the things that are used against Carolyn are things that we'd all recognise from our school days. The tactics of certain people in our year group, the isolation of others. This is such a strong book; I fail to see how it won't make one hell of a splash once it's out.

Weightless is one of the most powerful books on bullying and mental health that I've read. Sarah Bannan has touched on such sensitive topics, and she's done it so well. This is one of the most hard-hitting debut's that I've read and I really cannot wait to see what you all think of it. 

3 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing! Great review Leah. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love your review. Your emotions while reading the book really came across. Weightless seems like a really nice book, and I'm curious to see how it will be received by the wider public.

    Cheers,

    Goldie @ My Book Musings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I've read Fifteen Reasons Why and it sure does did something to my sanity. I like to read books like this. Definitely on my TBR list!
    Azee @ UnderCover Critique

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).