'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday, 30 January 2015

REVIEW: The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender - Leslye Walton

The Strange and Beautiful  Sorrows of Ava Lavender
Title: The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender
Author: Leslye Walton
Series: None
Publisher: Walker Books
Source: Review Copy
Publication Date: 27th March, 2014


Foolish love appears to be a Roux family birthright. And for Ava Lavender, a girl born with the wings of a bird, it is an ominous thing to inherit. In her quest to understand her peculiar disposition and a growing desire to join her peers, sixteen-year-old Ava ventures into the wider world. But it is a dangerous world for a naive girl...
The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender was such a beautifully moving book. I wasn't sure what to expect when I went into it, but I can happily say that I was not disappointed. I love reading about otherness in books and seeing how authors run with it; so saying no to this book was never an option. It was so beautifully written and the story was so unusual.

I loved the friendships she made and the air of mystery that surrounded her. I thought the way Leslye Walton built up a background to the house that they live in gave the story so much more depth. I think the only thing that I wasn't so happy with was that I would have loved to have learnt more about Ava's wings.

This book was so eloquently written. It's one of those YA books that could easily make the crossover to adult. Leslye Walton is definitely an author to look out for.

2 comments:

  1. I love the cover of this book so much. Glad to hear the inside lived up to expectations :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing this book around, probably since the cover is so striking ^^ but I'm glad it was just as pretty on the inside :D The writing truly sounds perfect! x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).