'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Saturday, 22 November 2014

REVIEW: The Ghosts of Heaven - Marcus Sedgwick

The Ghosts of HeavenTitle: The Ghosts of Heaven
Author: Marcus Sedgwick
Series: None
Publisher: Indigo Books
Source: Review Copy
Publication Date: 2nd October, 2014


The spiral has existed as long as time has existed.
It's there when a girl walks through the forest, the moist green air clinging to her skin. There centuries later in a pleasant greendale, hiding the treacherous waters of Golden Beck that take Anna, who they call a witch. There on the other side of the world as a mad poet watches the waves and knows the horrors the hide, and far into the future as Keir Bowman realises his destiny.
Each takes their next step in life. None will ever go back to the same place. And so, their journeys begin...

This is an absolutely mental book. I know that's probably the worst start to a review you've ever read but I really don't know how else to describe it. I'd just like to clarify that this is my first ever Sedgwick and it's fair to say that it definitely knocked my socks off. This book comes at you with so much force and it's so deeply intelligent that I'm not entirely sure that I understood the entire thing. This book is so complex but so beautiful and poetic; I just don't know what to say about it!

The beginning of The Ghosts of Heaven starts with a foreword from Marcus. It states that this book is set in four sections and can be read in any order. Me, being the wild child that I am, read them all in order. I couldn't do it any other way. I think what struck me the most was how cleverly written and how interlinked each section is. It goes to show how spirals in absolutely everything, and I think, how everything boils down to that? I haven't a clue! All I know is that this was such a thought provoking but perplexing read.

My reason for the 3.5* is the fact that I couldn't fully get my head around it. The book itself was beautiful, I just didn't know what to do with the book at the end. Each section was a moving and thought evoking story and I definitely appreciate the intellect involved, I just feel a little confused by it all. One thing that I have most certainly gotten out of reading this is that 1. I will definitely be picking up more books by Sedgwick, and 2. SPIRALS ARE EVERYWHERE.

The Ghosts of Heaven is well worth a read. Go pick it up, I'd love to know what you think about it!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I love "mental" books xD
    It reminds me a bit of the Dicken's Mirror by Ilsa J. Bick, I totally get how you felt after it finished. Like you are not sure you understood everything correctly
    GREAT review though
    Your reader
    Soma R.
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really excited for this one! It does sound mental but that's what draws me to it! I ordered Midwinter Blood the other day so going to dive into my first Sedgwick book soon! xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).