'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Tuesday, 7 October 2014

REVIEW: Timebomb - Scott K. Andrews


Title: Timebomb
Author: Scott K. Andrews
Series: Timebomb Trilogy #1
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Source: Review Copy
Publication Date: 9th October, 2014


New York City, 2141: Yojana Patel throws herself off a skyscraper, but never hits the ground.

Cornwall, 1640: gentle young Dora Predennick, newly come to Sweetclover Hall to work, discovers a badly-burnt woman at the bottom of a flight of stairs. When she reaches out to comfort the dying woman, she's knocked unconscious, only to wake, centuries later, in empty laboratory room.

On a rainy night in present-day Cornwall, seventeen-year-old Kaz Cecka sneaks into the long-abandoned Sweetclover Hall, determined to secure a dry place to sleep. Instead he finds a frightened housemaid who believes Charles I is king and an angry girl who claims to come from the future.

Thrust into the centre of an adventure that spans millennia, Dora, Kaz and Jana must learn to harness powers they barely understand to escape not only villainous Lord Sweetclover but the forces of a fanatical army... all the while staying one step ahead of a mysterious woman known only as Quil.
I'm still not sure where to put this book. I'm torn between giving it a 3.5 and a 4*. I really, really enjoyed it but I wasn't 100% captivated it so that's my dilemma. There's also the problem that people look at 3.5* review and think "oh, not that good then" when it's simply not true. So DO NOT be put off by a less than 4* rating!

I think this is my first time travel novel and it was such an exciting read! I was worried that it was going to be confusing and hard to keep up with but it wasn't at all. The events flowed seamlessly and everything slotted together nicely. Scott K. Andrews' three protagonists are so likeable and so completely different - the trio keep you on your toes through the entire book. It's pretty safe to say that I haven't read anything like it. There were plenty of interesting twists to keep you reading. I think what I enjoyed the most was the conflicting morals of the 'villains' of the book. It makes for intersting reading and definitely messes with your emotions. Definitely ones that you love to hate!

Timebomb is such an exciting and action-packed read. I loved reading from three different perspectives and seeing things from the past point of view, present and future. It was brilliant. The only thing I wish was that it had gripped me a little more. It's nothing against the book; I think I just picked it up at the wrong time. I'm a bit of a mood reader. ANYWAY, it's a really great book and I highly recommend!

1 comment:

  1. I have read time travel books and i have literally LOVED them
    I think I am going to like this one too
    GREAT review, deary
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).