'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday, 24 October 2014

REVIEW: Lips Touch - Laini Taylor

Lips Touch
Title: Lips Touch
Author: Laini Taylor
Series: None
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Source: Review Copy
Publication Date: 23rd October, 2014


In Victorian times, goblins offered sumptuous fruits in exchange for maiden's souls... and were usually successful. But what does it take to tempt today's savvy young women? Discover the answer in GOBLIN FRUIT. In SPICY LITTLE CURSES a demon and the ambassador to Hell tussle over the soul of a beautiful English girl in India. Matters become complicated when she falls in love and decides to test the curse placed upon her.
And in HATCHLING, six days before Esme's fourteenth birthday, her left eye turns from brown to blue. She little suspects what the change heralds, but her small safe life begins to unravel at once. What does the beautiful, fanged man want with her, and how is her fate connected to a mysterious race of demons?
It's been awhile since I read any of Laini Taylor's work and I really have missed it. I'd forgotten how much her writing ensnares you and I'd forgotten how creative and unique she is. I'm not usually the biggest short story reader and that's reflected in the 4* rather than 5*. I always find that I don't want the story to end and am disappointed by the lengths. This doesn't reflect on the authors ability, it's just how I feel when reading and enjoying a book.

Rating individually, I'd give Goblin Fruit 3.5*, Spicy Little Curses 4* and Hatchling 5*. Hatchling was such a wonderful story and I'd have happily read on and on in that world. The idea was brilliant and the execution was flawless. A part of me hopes that there's more of Esme left in Laini to continue writing that story! I needed more. Goblin Fruit was like a little morality/ folk tale. It was really entertaining read but it didn't completely blow me away. Spicy Little Curses was another entirely uniqure read. I was fascinated by the entire concept and devoured it.

Goblin Fruit, Spicy Little Curses and Hatchling were all unique and entertaining reads however, and I'll definitely be looking for more of Laini Taylor's shorts.

2 comments:

  1. I knew literally NOTHING about these short stories! Considering my love for Laini Taylor, that is SHOCKING. So first, thanks for bringing these to my attention ^^ I know what you mean about short stories - they never usually reach the 5* rating since it's so short it's hard to get a bigger emotional punch as full-length books do. Glad you enjoyed these all the same though :) Lovely review! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one a few years ago, but Hatchling has staid with me.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).