'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Thursday, 23 October 2014

REVIEW: The Cure for Dreaming - Cat Winters

Title: The Cure for Dreaming
Author: Cat Winters
Series: None
Publisher: Amulet
Source: Review Copy
Publication Date: 14th October, 2014


Olivia Mead is a headstrong, independent girl—a suffragist—in an age that prefers its girls to be docile. It’s 1900 in Oregon, and Olivia’s father, concerned that she’s headed for trouble, convinces a stage mesmerist to try to hypnotize the rebellion out of her. But the hypnotist, an intriguing young man named Henri Reverie, gives her a terrible gift instead: she’s able to see people’s true natures, manifesting as visions of darkness and goodness, while also unable to speak her true thoughts out loud. These supernatural challenges only make Olivia more determined to speak her mind, and so she’s drawn into a dangerous relationship with the hypnotist and his mysterious motives, all while secretly fighting for the rights of women. Winters breathes new life into history once again with an atmospheric, vividly real story, including archival photos and art from the period throughout.
I bloody loved this book! As soon as I read the words 1900's, suffragist and rebellion I just knew that this was going to be a book for me. Cat Winters has written, in my opinion, an absolutely flawless story of hope, rebellion and fear in such an important era for women. My emotions were taken on the bumpiest of rides. I felt absolutely livid at the reactions of the men and women of the era that were against the vote, but at the same time I felt so happy and content watching everything unfold. I felt like I got a real insight into that era and I'm so eager to read more of Cat Winters work!

There is absolutely nothing to dislike about this book. I saw so many rave reviews coming in and I was more and more curious about it. Olivia is the most likeable and realistic character I've read in a long time. She's so down to earth and true to herself. I loved having an insight into her mind and seeing everything unfold through her eyes. I was curious about Henri and what exactly he had done to her mind. There was so much emotion packed into such a short space but I loved every single second of it. It's one of those books that I was sad to see end. I really didn't want it to.

I think it's pretty clear that I loved this book. The world building was phenomenol; it instantly transports you back to the 1900's and to the world that women used to live in. Cat Winters writing style is flawless and I really couldn't get enough. In The Shadow of Blackbirds is currently on order and I really can't wait to fall back into the worlds she creates. A brilliant book.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy you enjoyed this one so much Leah!! I have Cat Winter's other book on my tbr too shelf but this one has been getting excellent reviews so far and it's sooooo exciting :D I have a feeling the themes involved in this one would REALLY tug at my emotions too but I'm glad that the author weaves hope and inspiration into it as well. Your praise for the world-building got me even more pumped for this one now haha! Lovely review ^^ x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read either of Cat Winter's books, but it's great to know that you enjoyed this so much! I was more interested in reading Shadow of Blackbirds, but after your review, I'm so interested in reading this one too! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).