'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 8 September 2014

REVIEW: The Tarot Reader - Laura Lam


Title: The Tarot Reader
Author: Laura Lam
Series: Vestigial Tales #3
Publisher: Penglass Publishing
Source: Purchased
Publication Date: August 2014


Untold centuries ago, the Archipelago was ruled by the Alder—mysterious beings who vanished, leaving behind only scattered artefacts of unknown power, called Vestige. Sometimes, a person will be lucky or unlucky enough to discover that each piece of Vestige has its own tale to tell…

The Tarot Reader

“Cyan didn’t want to read fortunes.”

Cyan Zhu is the best tarot reader Riley & Batheo’s Circus of Curiosities has ever seen. Too good, some say. She reads the cards, but she can also tell more about her customers than they could ever suspect. Two people walk into Cyan’s cart to have their fortunes told and change her life forever: Oliver, a sailor with a pretty grin, and a mysterious man with a blurred face, who sends her terrible visions that might come true.

Vestigial Tales are stories set in the world of the award-winning Micah Grey series. Step behind the circus ring from Pantomime, the theatre of Shadowplay, and more…
Cyan is my favourite character in the world of Pantomime. I absolutely adore her so it was pretty much a guarantee that I was going to love this novella too. This (I believe) is the longest novella so far in The Vestigial Tales and it's also the most recent. It completely surpassed all of my expectations and I was so disappointed when the story ended. I wanted more from Cyan and was sad to see the end of the novella pop up. I hope Laura Lam writes more from her point of view!

I loved learning more about Cyan's gift and the positives and negatives that come with it. Having a deeper insight into her personality and her past drew me to her character more and gave her further depth to what I'd read about in Shadowplay. Reading this novella has made me want to reread Shadowplay once again. Lam conjures up such excitement, tension and mystery in just a few pages and I'm really looking forward to the September Vestigial Tale!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).