'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday, 19 September 2014

REVIEW: If I Stay - Gayle Forman

If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)Title: If I Stay
Author: Gayle Forman
Series: If I Stay #1
Publisher: Random House Kids
Source: Bought
Publication Date: 7th May, 2009


Life can change in an instant.
A cold February morning...
A snowy road...
And suddenly all of Mia's choices are gone.
Except one.
As alone as she'll ever be, Mia must make the most difficult choice of all.
Gayle Forman is one of those authors that I've been meaning to read for the longest time. Her books are literally everywhere and I don't think I've come across a negative review yet! To me, her books sound like the female John Green in that they're hard-hitting, emotional, guaranteed to bring you to tears and certainly do not shy away from the tougher topics to broach in YA literature, or any literature really.

I didn't expect the graphic descriptions of the events that unfolded. I didn't expect to read a book that was going to slap me in the face from the first chapter, but this was exactly what If I Stay did. There's no sugar coating of this car crash. Everything is high impact and so very real. Gayle Forman describes things that I wouldn't have even thought about in some of her scenes. It's a real eye opener and it's guaranteed to shock you and completely cripple you emotionally. It was really eye-opening reading from Mia's perspective about the decisions she has left to make. I had no idea which way it was going to go and my empathy levels flew through the roof. I could definitely see both sides of her situation.

If I Stay is a quick read but it's most certainly not easy. It didn't quite match my expectations because there was so much hype surrounding it, but it is definitely an emotionally charged book. It's guaranteed to leave you feeling shell-shocked on occasion and not entirely sure what to do with yourself. Not a read for the faint-hearted!

4 comments:

  1. Well, after reading this review I still can't figure out if I want to read it or not. But, from your review, this really sounds like the type of book that one should read BEFORE watching the movie, so if I plan on seeing it I'll make sure to read the book first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to read this before seeing the movie, and posted my review this week. It was a bit of a mixed bag for me, it was a decent/good read, but for some reason I just struggle to put how I feel into words. It could be because of my real life experience, or it could be because it was so hyped I had super high expectations. I still gave it a 4/5 I think.

    http://confessionsofabookgeek.wordpress.com/2014/09/18/if-i-stay/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have wanted to read this for so long. Especially now that the movie is out here in the Netherlands. I managed to order the box set of If I Stay and Where She Went really cheap, so I hope to read it next week. Hope that I like it as much as you :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. YoBit lets you to claim FREE COINS from over 100 distinct crypto-currencies, you complete a captcha one time and claim as much as coins you can from the available offers.

    After you make about 20-30 claims, you complete the captcha and keep claiming.

    You can press claim as much as 30 times per one captcha.

    The coins will held in your account, and you can exchange them to Bitcoins or USD.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).