'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Saturday, 20 September 2014

REVIEW: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)Title: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Author: Douglas Adams
Series: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #1
Publisher: Picador
Source: Borrowed
Publication Date: 8th March, 2002 (Edition)


One Thursday lunchtime the Earth gets unexpectedly demolished to make way for a new hyperspace bypass. For Arthur Dent, who has only just had his house demolished that morning, this seems already to be more than he can cope with. Sadly, however, the weekend has only just begun, and the Galaxy is a very strange and startling place.

I can't believe it's taken me this long to read this book. Seriously, where have I been? The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is easily the strangest book I've read this year, but it's so compelling at the same time. I'm completely drawn to Arthur, Marvin and Ford. I only picked it up because my partner has been nagging me to read it for the longest time, and I can honestly say that I'm really glad I did.

I've heard this book described as funny, silly, daft and quirky, but I think there's so much more to it than that. I found it to be quite political in places and it served to me as a commentary on society. This wasn't something I expected to find in it and it drew me to it all the more. It's humorous, clever, witty - a really great read! I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of the series when I go back up North!

8 comments:

  1. For such a short book, it has so many different themes and jokes and ideas. It's definitely extremely strange though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's short? But then I must have a complete collection of stories or something, because mine is bigger than a pile of boulders.

      Delete
    2. You might have the bind-up of all 5 books which is called The Complete Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy ;). That is indeed massive book ^-^!

      Delete
  2. You should listen to the radio program, it is even better than the books! I love Douglas Adams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a strange little book, but I also really enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, this is a strange book. Saw the movie two weeks ago and that was even stranger. I really want to re-read the books, as I don't remember a whole lot about it :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey don't feel too bad, I still haven't read this one either! One of my close friends keeps insisting I do though, so I hope to get on that soon! She told me a lot of the same things that you mention in your review about the humor, the weirdness and the deeper symbolism and meaning throughout! I'm glad this was a positive experience for you Leah and thanks for the insightful review ^^ x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strange but good book for me! I personally liked it. :)

    www.internetlyaddicted.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).