'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Wednesday, 10 September 2014

REVIEW: Enchanted - Alethea Kontis


Title: Enchanted
Author: Alethea Kontis
Series: Woodcutter Sisters #1
Publisher: HMH Books
Source: Purchased
Publication Date: 28th May, 2013


It isn't easy being the rather overlooked and unhappy youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week. Sunday’s only comfort is writing stories, although what she writes has a terrible tendency to come true.

When Sunday meets an enchanted frog who asks about her stories, the two become friends. Soon that friendship deepens into something magical. One night Sunday kisses her frog goodbye and leaves, not realizing that her love has transformed him back into Rumbold, the crown prince of Arilland—and a man Sunday’s family despises.

The prince returns to his castle, intent on making Sunday fall in love with him as the man he is, not the frog he was. But Sunday is not so easy to woo. How can she feel such a strange, strong attraction for this prince she barely knows? And what twisted secrets lie hidden in his past—and hers?
 Enchanted made for a really sweet read. It's a book that I've seen popping up here and there on the blogosphere and when I came across it in Foyles, I couldn't resist snapping it up. I found myself really in the mood for some fairytale retellings and I can't emphasise enough just how perfect this book was to match those needs! Reading the back, I thought it would be just a retelling of The Princess and the Frog but it incorporates so much more than that. There are so many fairytales woven into this book; Sleeping Beauty, Jack and the Beanstalk, Cinderella to name just a few.

I thought Kontis development of characters was brilliant and so original. With the children being based on the Monday's Child nursery rhyme, I was instantly captivated and loved how they were all exactly as described. Enchanted is such a cleverly written book; it's definitely something that will take you away from real life and drop you straight into a mishmash of fairy tales - I think it can be best described as the Shrek of books. It's humorous in places, a really sweet and easy read and it could be a fairy tale in it's own right.

Now my reasoning for the 3*. Although I really enjoyed the book, it didn't suck me straight into the world and not let me go. I think it may have read a little too young for what I was looking for, so I can definitely appreciate it and enjoyed it but it wasn't up there with my favourites. I found some of the secrecy earlier on irritating rather than peaking my curiosity. I think this may be me being finicky rather than anything else, but that's why it didn't get a higher rating from me.

I'd definitely recommend Enchanted for a quick and easy read. It's very sweet and if you're a lover of fairy tales, I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy this :).

3 comments:

  1. I liked the mix of all the different fairy tales and it was fun to trying to discover them. I also like the cover, very pretty :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to pick this one up for a long time! It sounds awesome and I agree, I really love that the characters are based on Monday's Child nursery rhyme! Hopefully I get the chance soon!

    Ashtyn @ Wonderland’s Reader!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this one. I thought it was very imaginative. I really need to read the second book before the third one comes out in February.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).