'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Wednesday, 6 August 2014

REVIEW: The Winner's Curse - Marie Rutkoski

The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy, #1) Title: The Winner's Curse
Author: Marie Rutkoski
Series: The Winner's Trilogy #1
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Source: Review Copy
Publication Date: July 3rd, 2014


Winning what you want may cost you everything you love As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions.

One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin.

But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined.

Set in a richly imagined new world, The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski is a story of deadly games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart.
 The Winner's Curse is such a magical little book. I found myself immediately lost in this world that Marie Rutkoski has created. Constantly playing through my mind were comparisons to Throne of Glass - always a winner in my eyes - but there's also similarities to The Queen of the Tearling here too. I think I've found 'my thing' that I'll automatically fall in love with when it comes to books; a female fighter who isn't afraid to use a dagger when it comes down to it. I know that sounds incredibly vague but the books that I've fallen head over heels for have been this, Sarah J. Maas' books and Tearling - the one thing they have in common is a female character like this. It's guaranteed to get me to pick up the book.

Before picking up this book, I was already addicted to it. The cover was gorgeous and there were so many amazing reviews floating about. I was so, so excited to read it and that hasn't changed since putting the book down. Bloomsbury publish some incredible YA and this is up there with the best. Rutkoski has created such a compelling world and such exciting characters. I fell in love with Kestrel from the first chapter; she was feisty, strong-minded and so different from those around her. I loved that she didn't conform to the rules, that she got herself into all sorts of trouble and that she tried so hard to break out of the chains that society had trapped her in. The relationship that develops between Kestrel and Arin is magical to witness and I loved the ways in which they learnt more about each other. I loved the mystery surrounding Arin and I'm still intrigued to learn more about both of these characters!

Although you can see the ending coming as you read through the books, it still makes for one hell of an exciting and bumpy ride. With an amazing semi-cliffhanger to end, I am most certainly looking forward to reading the second book in this trilogy. There's so much more that I want to say but I don't want to spoil this for anyone that hasn't read it. Rutkoski writes beautifully and powerfully; her characters and her world building jump off the page and ensnares you in this magical world. There's so much happiness, conflict, heartache, love and fear in these pages. I couldn't get enough of this book and I think it's going to end up being up there with my favourites!

5 comments:

  1. The Winner's Curse is such a great book, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I cannot wait for the next one to come out. I have a feeling it's going to be even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one too! I found the slow-build romance to be enchanting. I also can't wait for the next one. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a bit skeptical when this book first came out, but everyone seems to love it. I think I'm going to have to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that the cover is gorgeous.I loved Throne of Glass so I am going to give this a whirl :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeeep, this is another one that I am thrilled you enjoyed :D You comparing ToG to Queen of the Tearling AND The Winner's Curse makes me BEYOND pumped for both of them now!! I'm really into tough girls that can handle themselves in a fight haha! And I agree, Bloomsbury publish some fabulous reads! I love the sound of the characters and the world! Thanks for the awesome review ^^ ♥

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).