'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Tuesday, 10 June 2014

Top Ten Tuesday #56

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted over at the wonderful blog Broke and Bookish.

It's been awhile since I've done a TTT post. I just haven't had time with planning MHAM and working but I FINALLY have time to put up a post! Woooop! :)

Top Ten Books I've Read So Far This Year

A difficult topic because I've read some truly amazing books so far this year! Here are the ones I narrowed it down to and in no particular order:

The Murder Complex - Lindsay Cummings
The Murder Complex (The Murder Complex, #1)
An action-packed, blood-soaked, futuristic debut thriller set in a world where the murder rate is higher than the birthrate. For fans of Moira Young’s Dust Lands series, La Femme Nikita, and the movie Hanna.

Meadow Woodson, a fifteen-year-old girl who has been trained by her father to fight, to kill, and to survive in any situation, lives with her family on a houseboat in Florida. The state is controlled by The Murder Complex, an organization that tracks the population with precision.

The plot starts to thicken when Meadow meets Zephyr James, who is—although he doesn’t know it—one of the MC’s programmed assassins. Is their meeting a coincidence? Destiny? Or part of a terrifying strategy? And will Zephyr keep Meadow from discovering the haunting truth about her family?

The Assassin's Blade: The Throne of Glass Novellas (Throne of Glass, #0.1-#0.5)
Including a novella never before available for sale: "The Assassin and the Healer".

Celaena Sardothien is Adarlan's most feared assassin. As part of the Assassin's Guild, her allegiance is to her master, Arobynn Hamel, yet Celaena listens to no one and trusts only her fellow killer-for-hire, Sam. In these action-packed novellas - together in one edition for the first time - Celaena embarks on five daring missions. They take her from remote islands to hostile deserts, where she fights to liberate slaves and seeks to avenge the tyrannous. But she is acting against Arobynn's orders and could suffer an unimaginable punishment for such treachery. Will Celaena ever be truly free? Explore the dark underworld of this kick-ass heroine to find out.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson
One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two strangers cross paths. Two teens with the same name, running in two very different circles, suddenly find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, culminating in heroic turns-of-heart and the most epic musical ever to grace the high-school stage.

Amy & Matthew
Amy loves Matthew and he loves her back. This is their story.
Amy is unflinchingly honest about her limitations. Born with cerebral palsy, she can’t walk or talk without help. But trapped inside this uncooperative body lies a brilliant mind and a luminous spirit – a girl capable of truly loving and worthy of being loved in return.
Matthew has his own set of challenges – a mind consumed by unwanted repeated thoughts, obsessive rituals and a crippling fear that he can't explain. But underneath all of the anxiety lies a deep seed of hope for someone to come along who believes in him…
This is the story of Amy and Matthew. It may not be a fairy tale romance or set in an imagined world far from our own. But the love they share is real. And yes, there's magic in it.

A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold (A Song of Ice and Fire #3, Part 2)
The Starks are scattered.

Robb Stark may be King in the North, but he must bend to the will of the old tyrant Walder Frey if he is to hold his crown. And while his youngest sister, Arya, has escaped the clutches of the depraved Cersei Lannister and her son, the capricious boy-king Joffrey, Sansa Stark remains their captive.

Meanwhile, across the ocean, Daenerys Stormborn, the last heir of the Dragon King, delivers death to the slave-trading cities of Astapor and Yunkai as she approaches Westeros with vengeance in her heart.
The Best Thing I Never Had
Five years ago they’d been seven friends at university that laughed hard and loved harder.

Nicky and Miles, the couple that were always meant to be… Leigha and Adam, maybe not.

So when Harriet and Adam grew close, during those endless days in the library and too many seminars they (well, Adam) hadn’t prepared for, they did the one thing that changed everything. They kept a secret. And when it came out, it all fell apart.

When the day comes for bridesmaids to be chosen and best men to fulfil drunken promises, Nicky and Miles’ wedding isn’t just a wedding, it’s a reunion – loaded with past hurts, past regrets, past loves…

The Best Thing I Never Had is in turns funny and sad, but always honest, about friendship in all its forms and the practicality of second chances.

If you fell in love with Mhairi McFarlane’s You Had Me at Hello and David Nicholls’ One Day, then this stunning debut book is for you.

Stolen Songbird (The Malediction Trilogy, #1)
For those who have loved Seraphina and Graceling comes another truly fabulous fantasy...

For five centuries, a witch’s curse has bound the trolls to their city beneath the ruins of Forsaken Mountain. Time enough for their dark and nefarious magic to fade from human memory and into myth. But a prophesy has been spoken of a union with the power to set the trolls free, and when Cécile de Troyes is kidnapped and taken beneath the mountain, she learns there is far more to the myth of the trolls than she could have imagined.

Cécile has only one thing on her mind after she is brought to Trollus: escape. Only the trolls are clever, fast, and inhumanly strong. She will have to bide her time, wait for the perfect opportunity.

But something unexpected happens while she’s waiting – she begins to fall for the enigmatic troll prince to whom she has been bonded and married. She begins to make friends. And she begins to see that she may be the only hope for the half-bloods – part troll, part human creatures who are slaves to the full-blooded trolls. There is a rebellion brewing. And her prince, Tristan, the future king, is its secret leader.

As Cécile becomes involved in the intricate political games of Trollus, she becomes more than a farmer’s daughter. She becomes a princess, the hope of a people, and a witch with magic powerful enough to change Trollus forever.


Thirteen Reasons Why
You can't stop the future. You can't rewind the past. The only way to learn the secret. . . is to press play.

Clay Jensen doesn't want anything to do with the tapes Hannah Baker made. Hannah is dead. Her secrets should be buried with her.

Then Hannah's voice tells Clay that his name is on her tapes-- and that he is, in some way, responsible for her death.

All through the night, Clay keeps listening. He follows Hannah's recorded words throughout his small town. . .

. . .and what he discovers changes his life forever.
Eleanor & Park
Eleanor is the new girl in town, and with her chaotic family life, her mismatched clothes and unruly red hair, she couldn't stick out more if she tried.

Park is the boy at the back of the bus. Black T-shirts, headphones, head in a book - he thinks he's made himself invisible. But not to Eleanor... never to Eleanor.

Slowly, steadily, through late-night conversations and an ever-growing stack of mix tapes, Eleanor and Park fall for each other. They fall in love the way you do the first time, when you're young, and you feel as if you have nothing and everything to lose.

The Book of You
A terrifying psychological thriller about obsession and power, perfect for fans of Gone Girl and Before I Go to Sleep.

Clarissa is becoming more and more frightened of her colleague, Rafe. He won’t leave her alone, and he refuses to take no for an answer. He is always there.

Being selected for jury service is a relief. The courtroom is a safe haven, a place where Rafe can’t be. But as a violent tale of kidnap and abuse unfolds, Clarissa begins to see parallels between her own situation and that of the young woman on the witness stand.

Realizing that she bears the burden of proof, Clarissa unravels the twisted, macabre fairytale that Rafe has spun around them – and discovers that the ending he envisions is more terrifying than she could have imagined.

But how do you protect yourself from an enemy no one else can see?


What are your favourite books so far this year?
Don't forget to check out #MHAMJune!

13 comments:

  1. I've just started getting back into TTT, it helps if I start doing them several weeks in advance. My top ten will be up later today as I'd only got to 8 before my holiday.

    I still need to read the Assassin's Blade novellas, I'm tempted to get the paperback as I keep ignoring the ones on my Kindle. So far I have liked David Levithan more than John Green so I should give WGWG a go. Want to read Stolen Songbird and Book of You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOoh nice! I was curious about The Stolen Songbird! Might have to just give in, buy it, and read it...one day! TBR pile soooo out of control right now!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! Ahhh, A Storm of Swords, much as it broke my heart and my head (no pun intended?), it was quite a riveting read. I have yet to read Eleanor and Park but I'm excited to read it soon (just pre-ordered this special edition of the book, which is exciting, hehehe)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of all in the list, I've only read Thirteen Reasons Why, and I'm so happy to see it here! I've read it a few years ago, but I have never forgotten about it.

    Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Storm of Swords is by far the best one of the series. So much shit goes down in that one and it just killed me bit by bit! The Assassin's Blade just <3 I'm reading Heir of Fire right now and just can't get enough. So many books I need to read on here, shame on me!

    Great list!
    Becca @ Lost in Thought

    ReplyDelete
  6. The assassin's blade & Stolen songbird both made it to my list too :D I almost included a book from George R.R Martin, but I was already cheating, haha. Great picks!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh you have some really great titles here. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of Stolen Songbird :D

    I really loved The Assassin's Blade! Can't wait to read Heir of Fire but forcing myself to wait at least a little while (not least because I have so many things to read right now).

    I really enjoyed Eleanor & Park but I have mixed feelings about Thirteen Reasons Why. I listened to the audiobook last weekend and I'm still trying to decide how I feel about it!

    (Also, of course A Storm of Swords should make this list :D This and A Dance with Dragons were my favourites of the series)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of these are on my current TBR list, so I am beyond pleased to find that they were good enough to make your list. I have read Thirteen Reasons Why and I LOVED that book. I really need to hurry up and catch up on the Game of Thrones books, mainly so I can know what's going to happen on the TV show; these cliffhangers are killing me atm.

    Char @ Reviews from a Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm reading The Murder Complex now! Glad to know it keeps getting better!

    Here's My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES ^^ The Assassin's Blade deserves to be there 100%! Man, that was an epic book! Most of the rest of your picks are on my wishlist/tbr shelf: Stolen Songbird, Eleanor & Park, the GRRM books of course and same goes for John Green :) Brilliant list Leah ^^ xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. have read about half of these and liked them a lot as well. I have yet to read others and I am looking forward to The Book of You very much. Looks and sounds so good I have to start it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hee, fascinating list. Some of these I really want to check out now. I still need to get on with Stolen Songbird, too -- I blame stress.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).