'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday, 23 May 2014

REVIEW: Goose - Dawn O'Porter

Goose - Dawn O'Porter 
Goose (Paper Aeroplanes, #2)
It's a year and a half on from Paper Aeroplanes, and Renée is now living with her Aunty Jo. They even have geese, and Renée likes to sit and watch them, wondering if she'll ever find 'the One' - someone who will love her no matter what, and be there for her no matter how bad things get. 

She and Flo are in their final year at school, and they've got some tough choices to make - like will they go to university? And if so where - and will they go together? Renée's usual ambivalence on the matter shocks Flo, who had assumed they'd continue as they were, the best and closest of friends, forever. She feels as though she needs Renée's support more than ever, so when a handsome young boy enters Flo's life, she finds herself powerfully drawn to his kindness, and his faith. 

Renée and Flo's friendship will soon be tested in a way neither of them could have expected - and if Paper Aeroplanes was a book about finding friendship, Goose is the novel that explores whether it's possible to keep hold of it.
Goose is even better than Paper Aeroplanes and I absolutely adored that one! Dawn O'Porter is quickly becoming one of my auto-buy authors. Her work is so honest, creates such nostalgia and juggles both humour and deep issues so well. These books are absolutely unputdownable. Goose is much darker than the first book in the issues that it deals with; growing up, having to make such a big decisions when you're young, loss, grief, familial relationships. There are so many different things that Renee and Flo go through, I found myself feeling so grateful that they had each other, but also grateful for my best friend from school. How would we cope without them?

Once again, O'Porter succeeds in portraying exactly what it was like to be sitting your A Levels. With the pressure of deciding which course to do, what universities to apply to, how to actually get the grades you need, saying bye to your friends and family; the final years of school are such a tough time and I felt like O'Porter manages to convey this perfectly. Flo develops so much in this book; she finally manages to find herself and is able to define herself without Renee. Renee slowly starts to become more comfortable with herself. They both go through some incredibly tough things in Goose; things that girls of 17/18 should not have to go through. The way Dawn O'Porter depicts their friendship is beautiful. It's far from flawless but it's such an honest and beautiful friendship. They're a match made in heaven!

The issues of sex is once again discussed; something which I am definitely for. I don't think enough books openly discuss this topic and I think that teens could definitely do with more information on the topic; to know that what they experience is normal, that everyone is the same, everyone is equally terrified and confused by it. Goose is another beautiful, humorous but sensitive novel and I really hope that there's another book to come in this series!

1 comment:

  1. I snorted out loud a few times in this one... I didn't love it quite as much as Paper Aeroplanes, still enjoyed it but didn't quite feel as nostalgic to me as the first one did. I guess their experiences were suddenly a lot different than mine, I was neither a church goer nor having lots of sex.

    I would love to read what happens next in their lives, I think I heard Dawn mention there would be another book, set a few years on again.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).