'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Thursday, 15 May 2014

REVIEW: The Geography of You and Me - Jennifer E. Smith

The Geography of You and Me 
Jennifer E. Smith
The Geography Of You And Me
For fans of John Green, Stephanie Perkins and Sarah Ockler, THE GEOGRAPHY OF YOU AND ME is a story for anyone who's ever longed to meet someone special, for anyone who's searched for home and found it where they least expected it.

Owen lives in the basement. Lucy lives on the 24th floor. But when the power goes out in the midst of a New York heatwave, they find themselves together for the first time: stuck in a lift between the 10th and 11th floors. As they await help, they start talking...

The brief time they spend together leaves a mark. And as their lives take them to Edinburgh and San Francisco, to Prague and to Portland they can't shake the memory of the time they shared. Postcards cross the globe when they themselves can't, as Owen and Lucy experience the joy - and pain - of first love.

And as they make their separate journeys in search of home, they discover that sometimes it is a person rather than a place that anchors you most in the world.

*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Headline & Bookbridgr*

Ohhhh this is the sweetest little book ever! I've been on a bit of a contemporary kick lately with YA so when this book turned up in all it's beautiful glory I was over the moon. I've heard so many wonderful things about Jennifer E. Smith's work and now I can completely understand why. The Geography of You and Me is beautifully written, so incredibly captivating and it makes for such a nice, light read. 

Owen and Lucy are complete opposites - background wise that is. Lucy is from a wealthy family; money appears to be less than no object in this book for her. Owen however, is a completely different story. I loved reading about their journeys and the differences in them based on this fact alone. It was so beautifully handled. I can't wait to read more of Jennifer E. Smith's books. I haven't read many books which involve travel but after reading this they'll definitely be bumped up the list. I loved the post card sending and their relationship developing and also shrinking through these post cards. I really liked that Owen's correspondence was written and not just an email. It created more of an air of dedication and romance. There's something so effortless about an email in comparison.

This is the second book that's featured Point Zero (Paris) in it that I've read this year. Reading these books is giving me itchy feet. I need to see this spot! There's something so romantic about the inclusion of this spot. I loved reading about Lucy and Owen from their own perspectives; so seeing what things like visiting Point Zero felt like for each character was really enlightening. The fact that Smith allowed arguments and uncertainty to creep into this story made it all the better. I'm glad that things weren't all plain sailing. It made everything so much more realistic.

The Geography of You and Me is such a lovely little book to read. It's quick and easy but it's so beautifully written and holds your attention to well; I can't recommend it enough. I look forward to reading more of Jennifer E. Smith's work! 

1 comment:

  1. I love Jennifer E. Smith! :D Glad you loved this one! :D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).