'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Top Ten Tuesday #53

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted over at the wonderful blog Broke and Bookish.

Top Ten Characters Who Piss Me Off

How could I miss a chance to rant about some of those characters that are created to really get on your nerves? In no particular order (they're all dreadful!):



 Dolores Umbridge

Never have I EVER come across a character that could induce so much anger. I mean seriously, what was going on with this woman? She is so hateful, spiteful, evil in her actions. I can't stomach her. Even thinking about the things she got up to drives me mad - Imelda Staunton did a fantastic job playing her in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix though. She drove me insane and looked absolutely perfect for the part! 


Edward Cullen and Bella Swan


I don't think this couple needs anything to support why they annoy me so much. They are both such wet characters. There's no oomph in them so to speak. They're just dreary and dull. No excitement and some beyond ridiculous actions. Need I even mention New Moon? Man, I cannot even talk about them without getting on what my boyfriend calls 'Feminist Agenda' LOL. 



Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey

Again, needs no introduction. Pretty much a mirror of Edward and Bella and piss me off just as much. Stupidity, naivety, all of it bundled up in a bloody awful trilogy. I even powered through book two only to feel disappointed with the outcome of that. No excuse for how he treats Ana, and there's no excuse for Ana's stupidity either! No, no, no.  


Ron Weasley


This is a tough one for me. I absolutely adore Ron. I do. But oh my GOD can he piss me off! In so many scenes I just want to shake him. Oh yeah, Harry luuuuurves the attention Ron. He loves not having parents and being chased by a wizard that wants to kill him. It's a RIGHT barrel of laughs. Storming off in Deathly Hallows as well? Man I could shake him!



Bran Stark

Another one that I love but winds me up beyond belief. I really don't like reading his chapters. He drives me up the wall. I know he's only a young kid but the things he comes out with! I mean, I understand that he's had a pretty traumatic time but he can be so self absorbed it's ridiculous! Probably my least favourite Stark by a mile. 

Daisy Buchanan


Ohhhh my god she is such a OANJARIGAH! She is so bloody infuriating and selfish and cowardly and AGH! I felt so much rage at the end of The Great Gatsby. I cannot even express how I felt about this woman. Even I felt betrayed by her. Horrible cow. I can't believe how weak she acted. Ridiculous. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to spoil it for people but she is one that could do with a good shake. 


Stolen Songbird (The Malediction Trilogy, #1)

The King of Trolls

The King is such a loathsome and self-centred character. He's impossible to love. He's repressive, he's abusive, he's terrifying. I hated him with a passion and I loved everything that went against him. Danielle L. Jensen created one of the easiest characters to loath ever. There was no sympathy for him. He was just horrific. I challenge you to read Stolen Songbird and not get pissed at him! I DARE you! Haha. 

The Assassin and the Underworld (Throne of Glass, #0.4)

Arobynn Hamel


Need I say any more? The things he did to Celaena is beyond anything I can handle. Celaena Sardothien is one of the characters that I truly care about the most and Arobynn is such a controlling arse - ugh! I hope he gets his comeuppance soon, I really do. No one deserves it more! After everything he's done, he deserves the same fate that he put on one of the most lovely characters.  

Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8)

John Matthew and Xhex 

My least favourite brother. Ever. I can't handle him at all. He's is so tragic and so unlikeable it's unbelievable! His work was torture to read. His and Xhex relationship is ridiculous and self-abusing. I can't stomach it! It pisses me off too much. It's one of those torturing relationships where they KNOW they're perfect for each other but they just keep on and on at each other and try to ruin things! It doesn't make me want to fight for them. It just makes me want to smack them. 

Mother, Mother

Josephine Hurst


The mother in Koren Zailckas novel Mother, Mother. She is horrific. She is everything a mother shouldn't be. The things that were unveiled throughout that book is horrendous. She abuses her children in such psychological and emotional ways, her husband is a mess; it just makes for a pretty horrible read. It's like watching a train crash. It's painful and I could not wait for her to get what was coming to her! 

How about you guys? What are the characters that most grind your gears?  

15 comments:

  1. Oooh good picks, some we share, some I wished I included!
    Like Bran, Arrobyn. OMFG. Agreed.
    Still have to read some of these books, like Gatsby, Mother, Mother, and Stolen Songbird but I agree with Daisy. I met her already and am not a big fan.
    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you on this list! Okay first off, Umbridge is the most infuriating character of all time and even typing about her is making me angry! Next, Edward + Bella/Anastasia + Christian (yes, they do deserved to be lumped together). I had such high hopes for Twilight when I read it, but they drove me up the wall. ESPECIALLY Bella. As for 50 Shades Of Grey, I haven't read it, nor do I want to. I took a look at a few pages and just got Bella shudders all over again. No thanks. I love Daisy as one of your picks, she really is so selfish and spoilt and NEEDED to be on this list! I did have a mini heart attack when I read Ron on here, but then calmed down when I read the explanation. I do agree, he can be pretty infuriating at times!

    Check out my Top Ten Tuesday!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh god, finally somebody else who has their issues with Bran. I always get the full force judgement and derision in my face when I mention to friends that Bran kinda ticks me off. And your feelings on Ron are spot-on! Sometimes I still get really upset because Ron was always so self-absorbed. Like, I get it, sixth boy, after him a girl. I am sure he felt neglected in attention and he didn't like being poor, but he treated Harry like shit in GoF and then ran off in DH, it just ticks me off. Harry has many faults but I felt that Ron, Harry's first and best friend, didn't even deserve to be Harry's friend sometimes. If anything, he might've done more harm than good in the long run, because Harry had all this potential but he just let Ron drag him down. Woe. :(

    Isa @ Words in a Teacup

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! :) I definitely agree on Umbridge - one of the most intolerable characters ever written! And Anastasia and Christian are just plain annoying. But I have to disagree on Ron. The fact that he's not perfect and always not supportive makes his human which is one of things I appreciate - none of us are perfect and we make mistakes. Ron however tried to patch up his mistakes by coming back and destroying the Horcrux. The golden trio wouldn't be the golden trio without Ron. :)

    And Arobynn! Argh, one of my favourite villains just because he is so horrible, and this makes this incredible contrast between Celeana and him. Even though I hate him from the bottom of my heart, I'm pretty eager to know more about him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT LIST! I forgot all about Umbridge and she annoys me like no other!

    Here's My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome list! I fully agree with Umbridge and Arobynn Hamel. Ugh! These two are repulsive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with this entire list. When I saw Bella & Edward, I felt like we're on the same brainwave...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with Dolores Umbridge. Nice list!
    Here is My Top 10 Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOh awesome list! Totally agree about Umbridge! Man I hated that woman! And I kind of agree with you about Ron too. Now I do love him, but the way he acted sometimes, like you mentioned, was freaking ridiculous! Glad though that at the end, things are okay between he and Harry, but still, dude! Think before you speak!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing list, such a fun topic too. I picked characters who make me want to hit them, which is essentially because they piss me off. I have Ron on my list too, I love that boy but he really makes me want to hit him, especially in Deathly Hallows. I also have Edward and Bella on there, I really hate those two characters.

    Anastasia & Christian might have made my list too but, as Fifty Shades is/was originally just Twilight fanfiction, thought they were pretty much the same as Edward and Bella as well. I can't believe I forgot Daisy, she drove me absolutely crazy whilst reading The Great Gatsby. I definitely wanted to reach into my book and slap her silly. Great list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with a lot of these SO much! Dolores Umbridge is by far one of the most infuriating characters – just so sickly sweet. She definitely characterises the worst aspects of political power!

    And I see what you mean about Bran. Although I love the dream elements that come with his side of the tale, he can be very annoying half the time… I definitely prefer the other Starks to him

    Great post – loved reading your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read the GOT books but I am watching the show. I am interested in why Bran pisses you off! I am excited to see more of him in the show!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad you included the couple Cullen. I hate them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG YES Dolores Umbridge and Arobynn Hamel!! Grrrr I hate them both SO MUCH >:-( I can't even...Arobynn's fate had better be sealed by our favorite blonde assassin ;-) And I completely agree with you on Ron. I freaking love the guy but man he makes me rage when he gets all jealous and misunderstood about Harry. Wake up Ron!! I haven't read 50 Shades but I've read excerpts and quotes and I could not have gotten through them without chucking the books out the window. Yuck. I still need to read Stolen Songbird though but I will go in prepared for some intense rage for the King hehe Awesome list ^^ xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahaha, everyone always hates Dolores the most :D Me too. Edward/Bella, ugh.. Bran's chapters are boring, yes, also in the TV show. Arobynn is a horrible figure & I also disliked the King of Trolls.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).