'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday, 4 April 2014

REVIEW: Goddess - Laura Powell

Goddess - Laura Powell
Goddess
Strikes. Starvation. Riots. Britain is at breaking-point and Aura is blind to it all. The Cult of Artemis is the only home she’s ever known. Enclosed in its luxury lifestyle, the unrest gripping the country seems to belong to a distant world. Her dream is to serve the Goddess and taking a vow of chastity and obedience seems a small price to pay. But days before Aura is due to be initiated as a Priestess, she meets Aiden, the rebellious son of a cult insider, whose radical ideas and unsettling charm force Aura to question everything – and everyone – she knows.
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Bloomsbury*
This was a fun, light little read. I haven't read many mythology based books, but I've enjoyed all of the ones that I have read. Goddess was no exception to this. It's a quick read, being only 280 pages long - a welcome break from the A Song of Ice and Fire books that I've been reading! I wouldn't say that much happened in the book, or at least that's how it came across. Things weren't as exciting as they could have been, but that doesn't take much away from the book.

I think what I liked most about this was seeing the change in Aura's character. She transforms from a seemingly weak and naive girl to a powerful figurehead for a revolution. I always enjoy seeing the protagonist undergo a transformation and to become re-educated about the world she lives in. If the author had kept Aura as naive and innocent I would have been pulling the hair out of my head by the end of the book! Not only does she emerge as a stronger person, but I loved hearing about her connections to the goddess Artemis. I don't know a lot about Artemis but I love learning about the different gods and goddesses. I didn't like the repressiveness that was demonstrate in the book by them, but then again it could be a point being made about religion generally. Her following or Artemis took away a lot of her free will; that could often be a little uncomfortable to read.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. It's light and a very quick read. I'll be picking up more mythology based books in the future. It's an area I've always wanted to read more of so this book has pushed me in that direction!


1 comment:

  1. I love reading about mythology but I'd never even heard about this one before! I love that it was a quick and easy read coupled with some excellent character evolution for the MC :) You make a good point about religion in general too : following anything too rigidly takes away one's free will. Interesting concept, I'll be adding this to my tbr! Lovely review Leah ^^

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).