'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Sunday, 13 April 2014

REVIEW: Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins

Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins
Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)
Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. She is less than thrilled about boarding school in Paris - until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, he has it all - including a serious girlfriend. Will Anna get her French kiss?
I finally got around to reading this book. After what feels like years I decided to pick up Anna and the French Kiss to see what all the fuss is about. I've been in a pretty good contemporary reading mood at the moment so it seemed like the perfect opportunity to pick up one of the most popular books in the blogosphere. I enjoyed it... but I wasn't blown away. I don't know if it was the hype or whatever, but I didn't see what all of the fuss was about. *Prepares for exclamations and abuse*. 

This doesn't mean I didn't like the book. It got 4*! I thought it was such a sweet little read. I loved watching Anna settle into French life and start to come out of her shell slowly. She is so clumsy and such a real person. I really felt like I could empathise with her. Anna had all of the awkwardness and the normalcy of a teenager girl without being annoying. She wasn't a huge stereotype but I think so many of us could see parts of ourselves in her.  The situations that Anna and Etienne found themselves in were so very familiar and it captures the feeling of first falling in love so, so well.

Even though this book didn't blow me away, I still really enjoyed it. I liked the conflicting relationships and a few of the high school clichés that are found in it. I knew how it was all going to play out, but I still found myself hoping and feeling very invested in the book - after all, it took me just over a day to read the entire thing! If you haven't read it, I would recommend it. It's such a light and fluffy read which conveys how it feels to fall in love; the emotions, the turmoil and the beautiful connections that are created. A cute little book and I'll definitely be picking up Lola and the Boy Next Door

3 comments:

  1. I felt the same way. I thought it was cute and fun, but not blown away either. I feel like that's an accomplishment though- I never read contemporary romance so if I like it, it means a lot! Lol, glad you enjoyed it at least. :)

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this one too. I wasn't a St. Clair fan though - he should have broken up with his girlfriend a hell of a lot sooner than he did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL so now I guess I'm the only blogger left who still hasn't read this one >.< Lovely review Leah ^^ I wish I could get back into reading even a bit of contemporary reads - this one has been on my radar for awhile too but I just can't seem to let go of my fantasies hehe. I'm glad you enjoyed this one despite not being blown away like everyone else seemed to be. It sounds really cute and easy to read. Of course, I'm drawn to life in France so I can see enjoying this one as well :-) Thanks for the recommendation!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).