'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Tuesday, 1 April 2014

March Recap: The Month Where Nothing Really Happened

So March has been a pretty dull month. Up until today, nothing of excitement had happened. I'm still reading through the A Song of Ice and Fire series and absolutely loving it, discovered some wonderful new books and prepared for London Book Fair next week. It's only since looking back at this month that I've realised I've been lazing about a bit. There's just been no time in the day to do anything. I've fallen behind on my Goodreads Challenge and everything (though I totally blame GRRM for that).

On the plus side though, today I secured myself some work experience within Orion Books Publicity in August! *squeals* I am sooooo happy! If I hadn't been working earlier I would have bounced around the ENTIRE library. After posting earlier about becoming a little downhearted about getting my dream job, this just feels like a massive sign to keep at it. Something will come my way! As well as this, in just six days I will be hopping onto the MegaBus all the way to London for the London Book Fair and to meet my blogging buddy Ula. This week is off to a brilliant start.


Anyway, enough about what I've been doing. Here's what's been happening on the blog this past month:

Read in March
A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2)We are delighted to be able to reveal the cover for one of the most exciting debuts of 2014, Far From You. This brilliant debut novel from Tess Sharpe will be the book everyone is talking about in 2014! Don’t believe us? Here’s a sneak peek at Far From You: 
Nine months. Two weeks. Six days … 
That’s how long recovering addict Sophie’s been drug-free. Four months ago her best friend Mina died in what everyone believes was a drug deal gone wrong - a deal they think Sophie set up. Only Sophie knows the truth. She and Mina shared a secret, but there was no drug deal. Mina was deliberately murdered.
Forced into rehab for a drug addiction she’d already beaten, Sophie’s finally out and on the trail of the killer. But can she track them down before they come for her?
Far From You will be out where all books are sold on the 27th March. We know that seems like a long way away, but we will be bringing you more teasers, extracts, competitions to help pass the time! 
In the meantime, tell us what you think of the cover!Sea of Shadows (Age of Legends, #1)Stolen Songbird (The Malediction Trilogy, #1)Amy & MatthewFront CoverA Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3, Part 1)A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold (A Song of Ice and Fire #3, Part 2)

Posts

April Reading Goals
I'm taking part in LGBT April so my aim is to read as many LGBT books as possible. I'll have a guest post from Laura Lam, author of Pantomime and Shadowplay, as well as an interview with a close friend of mine on the topic. This month is all to raise awareness so if you haven't sign up, click here to join us! 

The books I'm going to be reading are:
Affinity - Sarah Waters
The Night Watch - Sarah Waters
Boy Meets Boy - David Levithan
Luna - Julie Ann Peters
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky
Grim - Compilation
Golden Boy - Abigail Tarttelin
I'm also working on a little something that I'd like to host in June this year. I asked on Twitter whether people would be interested in a month dedicated to raising Mental Health Awareness through reading books that deal with it and got a positive response! So that's a little something I've got going on at the moment. Please let me know if you're interested!

How was March for you?
What are your plans for April? Will you be at the London Book Fair? 

6 comments:

  1. Woooooooop LONDON, BABY!!! I am so excited, see you in less than a week!
    And congrats again on orion, so so happy for you!
    Not to mention hats down to ya with reading ASoIaF this fast!!! It's crazy! :D
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DAAAAMN that's an epic reading list considering there's three GRRMs there haha. Congrats on the work experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great month (and very jealous that you're going to London!). Congrats on your venture with Orion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm doing LGBT Month too! :) I'm not reading quite that much, but still.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I wish I could be in London (all the time) and attend the London Book Fair XD I hope you and Ula have a blast!! I really need to finally start reading the GRRM series...it's just so freaking daunting though o_O haha and there are always sooo many books to read! But enough's enough, I must get onboard. We've already discussed Stolen Songbird so I'll leave it at that ;-) Oh and YAY, congrats on the Orion Publicity Gig!!! That's amazing!! Great looking March Leah ^^ here's to an even better April xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the work experience! Thats amazing! You read some pretty awesome books in March (FFY and TBK are my faves). Looking forward to your thoughts on Luna and Golden Boy (I absolutely adored GB!). Also, really excited about Mental Health Awareness month- I'd definitely be up for it :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).