'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Sunday, 20 April 2014

London Book Fair Part #1


Myself and Ula outside LBF! 
This year I attended my first ever London Book Fair, and I can guarantee it will not be my last! I had such a good time, attended so many seminars and met one of my childhood heroes so it was a pretty successful week. I finally met Ula @ Blog of Erised and we spent the week together browsing bookshops, buying far too many books, attending seminars, met up with Vicky at a Speakeasy event, being in general awe of the fair and doing touristy things in London.

It was a pretty awesome week in general. My boyfriend Phill got himself some work experience at a Headhunting company in central London and I started on handing out some shiny business cards. My main aim was to get as much out of the fair as possible that would help me get into publishing. I feel like I got some really helpful things out of it and really amazing advice. I felt so at home chatting with Lauren Ace, the Children's Publicity Manager at Macmillan because she used to work at Swansea Waterstones! My old local during university. I paid a visit to the Angry Robot people and it was so lovely to see Marc and Lee again. 

Anyway, here's the list of seminars that I attended and will be recapping in later posts:
  • Introduction to Publishing
  • Terry Pratchett
  • How to get into Publishing
  • How to get ahead in Publishing
  • You Be The Judge: Engaging Children in Book Prizes
  • Middle Grade Fiction: Keeping Kids Reading
  • New Approaches to Children's Book Events
  • Malorie Blackman and Julia Eccleshare: Interview & Signing
  • Why YA? (With Malorie Blackman)

These were fantastic seminars and I'm looking forward to sharing more about them with you guys! I had such a good time and it was so nice to meet other bloggers. I met Vicky @ Books, Biscuits and Tea, Faye @ A Daydreamer's Thoughts, Jim @ YAYeahYeah and Charnell @ Reviews From a Bookworm and they were all so lovely! Cannot wait to see them all again at some point :)

Keep checking back for my LBF14 posts!

3 comments:

  1. Yayay :D I may do one more post today as well. :D Feeling kind of lazy though.
    Looking forward to your recaps of some I didn't make myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, I already can't wait to read the next installment ;-D From what I've gathered, it sounds like you and Ula had a truly fantastic time at LBF! It's so cool that you both were able to meet up and share the experience together! Oh and I think all the publishing seminars you attended sound wonderful - I'm excited to learn more about them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these posts!!! I find it neat to get a peak inside of conventions. I am going to Comic Con this year and these posts are getting me excited!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).