'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Thursday, 24 April 2014

Harry Potter #61

This is a meme hosted by me here at my blog :).The aim of this meme is to share with fellow bloggers a character, spell, chapter, object or quote from the books/ films/ J. K. Rowling herself or anything Potter related! I will be picking a topic within HP for us to focus on each week and then if anyone wants to take part feel free! All I ask is to link back here, to my blog :). There is now a full list of the topics to come in the Harry Potter section of my blog here.

Least Favourite Book
A tough decision but prompts a confession on my Harry Potter journey. My least favourite is:
Time to confess. I was in primary school when I first picked up this book. We all had to take a book home to read for homework and I picked this one up. No reason for it. Just picked it up, checked it out and this was the book that was coming home with my 9/ 10 year old self. I don't know if it was because I had to read it for homework or what, but I read the first chapter and hated it. I put it down, didn't pick it up again and forgot all about Harry Potter until I was taken to the cinema by my parents to see Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone... where I fell in love. So there you have it. I was a Potter convert via film, not book. 

Saying that, not much has changed in how I feel about Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets. I adore them now, don't get me wrong, but they're not the most exciting of books. I prefer it later in the series where events are so much darker and shit is really going down. I think it's because the films are on too much as well. I feel like I've OD'd on the first two and haven't had enough of the other give books!

10 comments:

  1. Oh dear you got in through movies? Wow, squib much? :P I keed!
    Yeah first two are rather uneventful, but I liked first two because they're still kind of introductionary and you get to know the world better. I liked that aspect a lot, seeing it all through Harry and experiencing the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad read me the first couple of books, pretty much up till order oft he Phoenix, so I always loved them because of that. I picked Goblet of Fire though, because I just felt it broke up the larger narrative of the series :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love The Philosopher's Stone I think it's one of the most magical ones as you're discovering Hogwarts for the first time but I agree with The Chamber of Secrets it's my least favourite - Prisoner of Azkaban being my favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't start reading the books until after seeing the Sorcerer's Stone movie. Initially I'd thought the books were for younger readers, and boy, how terribly wrong I was! I seriously wanted to kick myself for waiting so long to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I re-read the books, I start with book number 4. It's not that I don't love the first 3 books, but they just aren't as exciting as the story that starts in 4 :) I think my least favorite is Chamber of Secrets as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too! I wasn't as excited as I thought I would be with that book, and that's my first book in the Harry Potter world, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the first time I've participated in this meme! So excited (: Chamber of Secrets would have to be my least favorite as well, if I had to choose. Definitely need a reread of them all soon though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't start reading the books until after I saw Chamber of Secrets!! I'D only gotten REALLY into LotR back then so I was oblivious to everything else until the HP films set me straight >.< For some reason, I've always enjoyed Philosopher's Stone more than Chamber of Secrets...but I almost consider them like two parts of the same story. They're both smaller than the others without the darkness and depth the other books have, like you said. Great pick ^^ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agreed! Least favorite book & movie in the whole series! Book 3 was when I fell in love with the series. I liked books 1 & 2, but I didn't love them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me, Prisoner of Azkaban was my favourite and the fifth book--Order of the Phoenix--was my least favourite. I just found it a boring read compared to every other book in the series. Luckily, book six was good for me :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).