'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Saturday, 1 March 2014

The Fairytale Survey

This survey was created by Mel @ The Daily Prophecy. This sounds like so much fun so I just couldn't resist filling it out - I love surveys! Hop on over to her blog to check out her answers and to join in with the survey :)
 
PART 1. CLASSIC PRINCESSES.

Pinocchio – The boy whose nose grows when he lies.
Is there are book you lie about, because you feel ashamed for liking it?There isn't a book that I lie about, but there is a book that I used to feel ashamed for liking and that's Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Looking back on it, I don't know why I was ashamed. It suited my 14/15 year old self perfectly fine. I think I was a little overwhelmed by the newly developed fandom (i.e. Robert Pattinson) which made me take a step back a little. Needless to say, that's in the past. I happily embrace all books now :).

Beauty and the beast – The girl who fell in love with personality.
Which book do you love that has a hideous cover?
Delirium by Lauren Oliver. My edition of the book is horrible! I keep meaning to buy a new one but then it wouldn't be mine, if that makes sense?

Snow white – Hunted down for her beauty.
Do you ever buy a book based on the cover alone and if so, what is the last one?Oh god, so guilty for this. The last book I bought based on the cover was Splintered by A. G. Howard. I enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away. That was definitely a lesson to me!

Sleeping beauty – Cursed to sleep, awakened by true loves kiss.
What is your favourite book couple?
Molly and Arthur Weasley, Tonks and Lupin, Elena and Clay, Katniss and Peeta.... how can I pick just one? :)

Little Mermaid – Gave up on her old life for love.
Do you ever branch out to new genres or do you like to stick with the ones you know and love? If you try new things out, what is the latest book?
I used to really stick to the genres I knew I liked, but as of the end of last year I started reading more and more contemporary YA. I also read a little chick lit and am now addicted to Lindsey Kelk.

Cinderella – Who lost her shoe after midnight.
What is the last book that made you stay up all night?
Allegiant by Veronica Roth. Oh man, I didn't expect to love that series as much as I did. Heart. Broken.

Rapunzel – locked up in a tower.
What is the worst books you’ve read last month?
I didn't read any bad books last month! Lowest rated probably went to The Seers by Julianna Scott, but I still enjoyed it.

PART 2. MIX-MATCH.

Aladdin – The poor boy who found a genie.
What is the latest book treasure/gem you found?
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. Why had I not read that book until last month? Why?!

Alice in Wonderland – The girl who fell through a rabbit’s hole.
Which book made you really feel like you landed in another world?
The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings. This book is an absolutely phenomenal debut. Also, the After Eden duology by Helen Douglas.

East of the sun and west of the moon – where a girl embarks on a journey to save her love.
Who is one of your favourite kick-ass heroines?
Celaena Sardothien hands down. I am so in love with her as a character it's unreal.

The Frog Prince – where an enchanted prince becomes human again.
What is a book you thought you would hate, but end up loving?
Middlemarch by George Eliot and Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. Honestly, I thought it was going to be a case of pulling my teeth out for that module in my third year of university, but I really, really loved them.

Hansel and Gretel – left alone in the woods and captured by a witch.
Which duo (sister/sister, brother/sister) is your favourite and why?
Fred and George Weasley - there is no duo better than this pair!

Little Red Riding Hood – almost eaten by a wolf dressed as her grandmother.
What book disappointed you after falling in love with the cover and blurb?
A Breath of Frost by Alyxandra Harvey. I so desperately wanted to love this book but it all fell a little short for me. The cover is still gorgeous though.

Rumpelstilskin – nobody knows his name.
Which book do you love that doesn’t get enough attention?
The Mad Scientist's Daughter by Cassandra Rose Clarke and Shadowplay by Laura Lam. Words cannot express how much love I have for these books. Go read them! :) 

*Credit to Tweak My Twitter for B&W Background Image

7 comments:

  1. Internet ate my comment :( It was very long, so I'll give it a shot tomorrow! In the main time, thanks for filling out the survey and what a pretty banner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, second attempt.

      I'm glad to see that you aren't ashamed of the books you read now. That's very important to me! We should all read the books we like without shame :) I love the cover from Splintered too <3 How could I forget about Molly/Arthur & Lupin/Tonks! They are adorable together. And Fred/George as brothers *smacks head* I totally didn't think about them. Celaena is the best :)

      Delete
    2. Haha aww! Thanks for retyping though!
      Yess, it took growing up to get over the shame of books thing. It's too easy to feel self-conscious of everything in the teen years.

      Delete
    3. P.S. thank you :) the actual design isn't mine but is on Tweak my Twitter but I added teal to it to match my blog :)

      Delete
  2. What a great survey! I'm definitely going to do this one...like you I'm obsessed. I still need to read Throne of Glass so I can join the lovefest for Celaena. Yeah for the Weasley twins!! I'm excited to try the Murder Complex now. Great answers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wooooooww I love it!!*.* I will do it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! I'm totally doing it! Celaena is totally badass

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).