'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Saturday, 15 March 2014

REVIEW: Sea of Shadows - Kelley Armstrong

Sea of Shadows - Kelley Armstrong
Sea of Shadows (Age of Legends, #1)
In the Forest of the Dead, where the empire’s worst criminals are exiled, twin sisters Moria and Ashyn are charged with a dangerous task. For they are the Keeper and the Seeker, and each year they must quiet the enraged souls of the damned.

Only this year, the souls will not be quieted.

Ambushed and separated by an ancient evil, the sisters’ journey to find each other sends them far from the only home they’ve ever known. Accompanied by a stubborn imperial guard and a dashing condemned thief, the girls cross a once-empty wasteland, now filled with reawakened monsters of legend, as they travel to warn the emperor. But a terrible secret awaits them at court—one that will alter the balance of their world forever.
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Harper Teen*

I was really excited to get my hands on this book. Anything that Kelley Armstrong writes I tend to treat as gold dust! I'm a massive fangirl for all things Armstrong, so I had no doubt that this book was going to blow me away. The only problem is, I ended the book expecting more. It was really good, don't get me wrong, but there was something about it that I couldn't love. I couldn't find Armstrong's voice in the midst of this new world and I found myself hoping for the return of her form. Sadly, it didn't come, and I think it was that loss of voice that had me rate this book lower than the usual 5* that she earns.

Another part of the problem was, I think I definitely prefer Armstrong writing for adults. Her Women of the Otherworld, Nadia Stafford and Omens novels blow me away every time. Other than a few personal problems, the book was really good. It was original and completely captivating; exactly what I was expecting from an Armstrong book! I was really excited to see how this new world developed, and I really loved the concept of Seeker and Keeper. The absolute contrasting personalities between the twins, Ashyn and Moria is brilliant to read. Their personalities are constantly supporting each other in the areas that the other lacks. 

Sea of Shadows ends on a cliffhanger and I'm already searching out the release date of the next book! Exploring the fantasy genre is a new thing for Armstrong, at least as far as I'm aware. She usually deals in the paranormal genre, but I really enjoyed her latest book. It was exciting and enthralling. I just wish that this week had been a little less busy so that I had more time to read! I'm looking forward to seeing how this world develops in the next book - it's a book unlike any I've read before. This concept isn't one that I've come across and I'm really looking forward to seeing where Armstrong takes Ashyn and Moria next. 

7 comments:

  1. OOh nice review! I can't wait to read this one myself! Love Kelley's books too! Got rejected for this one pretty quick after I requested it, but at least we're nearly at its release! Can't wait to read it!! Great review, again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Review! I'm looking forward to this one, I actually shared it for one of my Waiting on Wednesday's last week. I haven't read any of Armstrong's books before so I don't know what to expect so I might Love it....Well see....Thank you for sharing! I'm glad to see it got 4 stars :)
    Book Hangovers Blabs Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love Kelley Armstrong! I have this one sitting on my kindle waiting to be read and reviewed and now I want to read it even more, lovely review.
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages
    P.S. thanks for the heads up about the cliffhanger ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about getting your expectations up when it comes to a beloved author! Sometimes it just doesn't connect as hard as other favorites would have...I'm glad you enjoyed this one despite that! The world sounds really fresh and the characters contrasting that way sounds really cool. I've only read Kelley's Darkest Powers trilogy but her Woman of the Otherworld series has been on my TBR for ages! I *need* to start them soon. I'm really excited to start my arc of this one now too :D Lovely, insightful review xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Armstrong is an author I've been meaning to get to for a while - I have her Women of the Underworld series on my calendar soon though! I'm thinking that fantasy series tend to take a couple books to really get their footing, so hopefully you'll see more of the Armstrong you love in book 2. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! Kelley Armstrong is an author I've read only a few stories/books by and I keep meaning to catch up on her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also obsessed with Kelley Armstrong. I've read almost everything she's written. Love her. I had the chance to read Sea Of Shadows. I thought that the journey/fantasy part were not my favorite parts. But I loved the last 15% of the book (i wish the whole book had been that). I think it shows great promise for the next book.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).