'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 31 March 2014

Bookish Chat: Getting Into Publishing

Today's Bookish Chat is about getting into publishing. Well, trying to get into publishing and how difficult it seems to be. This is just me talking about how I'm feeling a little put out and how it occasionally feels like I'm never going to get in.
A career in publishing is something that I dream about and have done since I started my English degree at university. Since then, I completed it and got my 2:1 then went back and got a Merit for my MA in English. I wanted to continue exploring books that I love in great detail. I wasn't ready to close the door on reading books academically. Doing my BA and MA has given me an even greater appreciation for the written word. I love how clever so many novels are. I love seeing the hidden meanings in books, but most of all I love sharing this love with other book lovers. It's this sharing and this promotion that I long to do. There is nothing that I want more than to have a job as a Publicist. Nothing at all.

I graduated from my MA in September, so it's been a fair few months. I'm currently a library assistant at a college. It's great. It's a book-related job and I do enjoy it. There's just one problem. It isn't in publishing. I had never been an overly ambitious person prior to university, but since leaving I am willing to do anything and everything possible to get more experience in publishing. I have such a great ambition to get this career. I'm not willing to settle for less. It's my dream and I genuinely do feel that I'll be incomplete without getting a job in this business. It's the only thing I want. There are no other careers that interest me. Publicity is where my heart lies and I won't be content until I'm a part of it.

What has made me even more sure about this is my internship at Angry Robot Books. It was in that time that I picked up publicity, marketing and a little editorial experience. I loved it. I didn't want to leave. That internship was a dream come true and it solidified for me that Publicity was the job for me. Organising blog tours, ARCs, author events, interviews, maintaining websites, building relationships. I loved it. Every. Single. Second. Even packing up the ARCs. All of them. I was so sad to finish the internship but it's given me some invaluable experience within the industry. I can't thank the folks at Angry Robot enough.

Now here's the reason I'm feeling put out. I can't seem to get anywhere with the job applications. I've had my CV looked over by a Publicity Manager at Random House, made it better, have work experience and an internship yet still can't seem to get an interview. It makes me worry about what's wrong with me. Am I not employable? Do I not have that special thing that they're looking for? I know it's such a competitive business and that it hasn't been that long. Not in the great scheme of things. But it does get very saddening getting so many rejections. It starts to feel like my dream is unobtainable. I'm starting to save up money to apply for further work experience and internships. Anything that will give me that extra edge. My reason for starting the blog was sharing the love of books and to help me battle my way into publishing. I'm not going to stop now, but it definitely gets difficult.

Despite this, not once have I thought about giving up. I refuse to. This is my absolute dream. I cannot give up on this. I love books too much. Especially the Young Adult books. I would love nothing more than to be able to promote such books. I want to make this wonderful bookish community even bigger than it already is. All I ever do is talk about books and encourage people to read [insert book name here]. I want people to hear about these wonderful books, to experience them and to love them like I do. I want to help authors reach their dreams. I want to be someone that helps people get that same feeling that I had reading Harry Potter for the first time, but with a variety of books. 

It can often feel impossible to get into this publishing world. I'll be over the moon to get an interview. I'll explode with happiness when I get into this world. I know its feels difficult now, but I know that it will pass. Things have to get better, even if it takes awhile. It will be worth it in the end.

How about you guys? 
Do you ever feel like you're never going to get your dream job? Or get disheartened by the job application process?

11 comments:

  1. My dream job is to be a book editor, like Sandra Bullock in The Proposal. I never dreamed before that there was such a job! I'm a copy editor now...but of magazines and newspapers. But I really want to be a book editor. So what I did was I struck out on my own and started with indie authors. I reached out to an author who organised a fiction writing class and I volunteered to edit for free. I just started last June, and through word-of-mouth recommendations, I now have three clients, with two books already out.

    I went down this route because I love my job, and it pays me well enough. But I wanted to be a book editor, too. I guess I have the best of both worlds right now, although it doesn't leave me much free time, and it can be pretty tiring.

    Don't give up on your dreams! Start a blog tour. Volunteer, do it for free and maybe eventually get paid. Someday you'll have enough creds to apply for a job, and they might even be the ones begging you to join them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that's really good going! That's really great :).

      It definitely gets difficult but I refuse to give up. The funniest thing is that today I managed to get myself some work experience with Orion! Hopefully it's a sign :)

      Delete
  2. I'm super worried about this. I graduated last May, but I did several publishing internships/jobs. The only problem is that they were mostly academic presses. Plus I live in Madison, WI which isn't helping things. Right now, me and the fiance just can't afford to move in New York, but that is eventually the plan. Hopefully by Fall of 2015. I had thought that since it is New York that it would be much easier to find a publishing related job, but maybe not. I think I'm also going to apply to NYU's master in publishing program. It's just all this waiting and feeling like there isn't much I can do in the mean time that's got me feeling angsty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I hope you manage to reach your dream too! A Masters in Publishing sounds fantastic as well. Same as you I have work experience in an academic publishing, but children's publishing is where my heart is. Good luck to you though and maybe in a year we can talk about our fantastic publishing jobs? :)

      Delete
  3. Awww hun, it'll happen! I know how you must feel, like a reject and all, but it will happen! Things are already changing now! ;) And since it's the one thing you want most, the only thing, you definitely should not give up, at all! So stick to it, be relentless, be annoying if you have to be! :D

    I love seeing the hidden meanings in books as well, and since I've known you I started noticing it more. So you are making a change already! :D

    Keep at it! :***

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun :). I appreciate that. That's all thanks to some fantastic lecturers in university too :). I hope you become the high flying author that you hope to be too. Your work is DEFINITELY good enough xxx

      Delete
    2. Awww shucks :D Thanks honey :***
      Not much more before it's done! :D

      Delete
  4. I love how passionate you are about it. Keep trying and keep building up your experience and hopefully someday you will make your dream come though. It's clear you are a book lover with great aims and I think you will come across great when you get an interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much :) that's a lovely thing to say x

      Delete
  5. Don't ever ever think there's something wrong with you. Publishing is just a very hard industy to get into - for every job there are over 50 applicants with the right qualifications. I'm sure you can do it, if you're this passionate about it (: LBF is a great place to network (make sure to bring business cards) and visit seminars if you want to get into publishing.

    My dream job is being a writer. I've wanted to be a writer since I could read, and have been writing stories about witches and vampires since I was eight. But that really scares me, because there is nothing else I want to do as a job, and only like one percent of all writers ever make a living out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Celine :). It's true. It's so difficult but I refuse to give up! Got business cards printed especially for LBF so here's hoping. Really gutted you can't make this year as well.

      Aww I hope you get there. I know exactly how you feel with not wanting anything else. What would be cool is a blog feature with your work or something like that :). Just a suggestion! My buddy Ula is in a similar situation. It's her dream to become a writer too. A tough industry but I'm sure you'll both make it! x

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).