'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Wednesday, 12 February 2014

REVIEW: A Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin

A Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
Summers span decades. Winter can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun.

As Warden of the north, Lord Eddard Stark counts it a curse when King Robert bestows on him the office of the Hand. His honour weighs him down at court where a true man does what he will, not what he must … and a dead enemy is a thing of beauty.

The old gods have no power in the south, Stark’s family is split and there is treachery at court. Worse, the vengeance-mad heir of the deposed Dragon King has grown to maturity in exile in the Free Cities. He claims the Iron Throne.
“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.

How do you write a review about a book this amazing? I honestly don't know howto put into words how much this book draws me in. This was my first ever epic fantasy read and I am honestly hooked. I'm doing a re-read of this book and A Clash of Kings so that I can carry on reading the series. It has been two years since I last read it and I can say that time has only made this book better. I felt that I appreciated it so much more this time round and was able to take so much more in. I got to know the individual characters so much better and definitely benefited from this re-read.

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”


The characters are entirely captivating. I have so many hopes for the futures of some of my favourites: Arya, Daenerys, Tyrion and I also have some less pleasant hopes for those that I love to hate: Cersei, Joffrey. I'm very wary because I know Martin has a terrible reputation for just destroying his characters as if they were nothing. I don't think it's a series that I will be crying at any time soon but there are definitely so many twists and turns in just the first book. I'd forgotten how rich with description this book is and is the longest book that I've read for a long time. Every page has to be digested and I absolutely love this about the book. Many books I'm able to skim through, but there is definitely a massive sense of satisfaction when finishing this book and it is so worthwhile to just spend the time going through it.

“What is honour compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms . . . or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.”

The world building is so rich and imaginative; I feel like this world that Martin has created is so realistic that it just has to exist. Don't get me wrong, I am so, so glad that it doesn't. With the ever looming of fear of Winter coming, war, insane rulers and lack of order, I am definitely not jealous of the inhabitants of this world. They can keep that stress to themselves! It makes for such a thrilling read and I'm eager to find out more about the White Walkers, whether the Night's Watch will be able to protect the realm and how far will Daenerys manage to go in her battle? This is such a captivating series and I can't wait to sink my teeth into A Clash of Kings once again.

10 comments:

  1. I am so glad you loved the book! I love the series so much!
    It's a long journey reading them all but as you said, sooooo worth it, after you get through a book like this. It's so rich and full of everything, you have to give it a slow read, but it's totally worth it. I was hooked after books one as well.
    So glad you're reading them all! I hope to reread them soon as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When all the books are finally out I will be doing a re-read of all of them myself and I can't wait. I think it's been so long since I've read them (2003) that it will be brand new .. like reading them for the first time. I know the show leaves so much out to so that won't ruin the books for me either!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAAH! ASOIAF is one of my favorite series EVER; every book has just blown me away. Martin is an exceptionally talented storyteller, and even when he's less than kind to my favorite characters, I can't hate him for it. I hope you love the rest of the series just as much! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I need to make it a mission of mine to read at least the first book this year. I love the TV show and it just makes me want to read it even more. I want to experience this awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The asoiaf series is so good! The books take me months to read but I'm so glad I decided to pick this series up. I'm currently reading A Feast for Crows and enjoying it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like a complete high-fantasy fan fraud for STILL not having gotten into this series. The books are just SO freaking HUGE...and there are SO many o_O I need to get into them soon though because i just know I am seriously missing out...and reading your review confirmed that to me once again >.< Glad to see you loved this one so much^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm actually currently reading this ( I'm about halfway through) but so far I'm loving it and I already can't wait to get started on the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a fantastic series! I am so glad they made a show, otherwise I might never have known about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have really struggled with this book if I hadn't have seen the TV show first. I'm not sure whether to skip the books for the story that I already know now. I've been at about 20% through book 2 for months now. Just not grabbing me and I sort of know what happens. But then people have told me the TV show starts to divert from the books. Argh! I might just make my boyfriend read them and tell me the point I can join back in again ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have them in physical or mobi format? I know I definitely couldn't read George R. R. Martin via Kindle/ Nook. It would drive me insane! The first time I read it I really liked it, then I watched the TV show and didn't enjoy that as much. Re-reading it definitely increased how much I loved it - though asking your boyfriend to read it is definitely a plan :P it's screwing up my GR goal! Haha

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).