'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Thursday, 13 February 2014

REVIEW: Cress - Marissa Meyer

Cress - Marissa Meyer
Cress (Lunar Chronicles, #3)
Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard. 

In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army. 

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice. 

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.
Yet another 5* rating for Marissa Meyer. This woman really can do no wrong in my eyes. Her books are original, creative, riveting and completely unputdownable. Cress is no different to the others. As soon as I cracked open the book I was straight back in The Lunar Chronicles world - a place I had definitely missed! The story is getting increasingly darker as we near the end of the series with the books taking on a much more strained tone as we pray for the safety and success of our favourite characters. Cress is filled with action and I really couldn't stop myself from turning the pages. It was a constant presence in my mind and now I'm so sad that I have to wait until next year for Winter!

Cress was such an adorable character. Her ignorance to the world (thanks, Sybil!) was amazing and it made me question what Earth would look like to me if I had never seen it before. The anxiety she felt was so clear in the pages and I felt so much sympathy for her. Cress wasn't as obviously kickass as Cinder and Scarlet, but she had her own inner strength and saved the gang on more than one occasion. With huge intellect and a I.T. skills that we're all envious of, she made for such a fascinating and amusing read. As I was reading, I kept picturing Rapunzel from the Disney adaptation, Tangled. This created such a vivid image in my mind of Cress and I loved it. I could picture everything she did so clearly - she is definitely a character to look out for!

Meyer's world building is once again flawless. Her language is beautiful and I really can't get enough of this world. The end of this series will be absolutely devastating. I'm so excited to get my hands on Winter after this book. With a brief introduction to the character, Winter, I'm so certain that she is going to be awesome. I can't wait to see how the final battle is going to unfold. With the vileness of Sybil and Levana increasing in Cress, I am praying that the sadistic Queen gets her comeuppance! Come on, Cinder, we know you can do it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).