'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday, 21 February 2014

REVIEW: The Assassin's Blade - Sarah J. Maas

The Assassin's Blade - Sarah J. Maas
The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5)
Contains all five novellas.

Celaena Sardothien is Adarlan's most feared assassin.
 
As part of the Assassin's Guild, her allegiance is to her master, Arobynn Hamel, yet Celaena listens to no one and trusts only her fellow killer-for-hire, Sam. In these action-packed novellas - together in one edition for the first time - Celaena embarks on five daring missions. They take her from remote islands to hostile deserts, where she fights to liberate slaves and seeks to avenge the tyrannous. But she is acting against Arobynn's orders and could suffer an unimaginable punishment for such treachery. Will Celaena ever be truly free?
Explore the dark underworld of this kick-ass heroine to find out.
*Received in exchange for review*
*Thank you Bloomsbury*

Before I go anywhere with this review, I have to say THANK YOU SO MUCH, EMMA! The Assassin's Blade was one of the most amazing surprises I have ever received in the post. Once I'd stopped flailing about the book, I finally got round to re-reading these stunning novellas. All I can say is: W.O.W. Reading them altogether like this is an amazing experience and it definitely makes the novellas even better than they were originally. Put together beautifully, The Assassin's Blade makes for a novel in five parts by Sarah J. Maas, introducing us to Celaena's past and her journey to Endovier. 

I love that Maas's writing is equally as exciting the second time round as it is the first. I knew the events that were coming but it still didn't stop my heart from racing, my eyes welling up and my emotions soaring - I really cannot get enough of this woman's work! Reading the novellas in one compilation definitely brings something extra to the stories. With them flowing into each other beautifully, they are unlike any other novellas I have read. Usually novellas are across separate periods of time and are glimpses into the characters lives. The Assassin's Blade tells us a story with each novella leading into the next. I benefited so much from that and this book is a welcome Celaena hit in the painful gap leading up to book three in the Throne of Glass series!

Maas's writing is beautiful, eloquent and so heartfelt. I have no idea how she came up with these amazing characters but I am absolutely captivated by them. Each novella took me on an emotional ride and I loved seeing the development in Celaena's character. We see her cockiness disintegrate leading to the character that we confront in Throne of Glass. I love that her cockiness doesn't disappear completely though - she just wouldn't be the same without it! I love that she learns humility but I hate seeing her suffer. The final novella, The Assassin and the Empire, has completely broken me again. I can't deal with it. It's so painful to read and absolutely heartbreaking.

This is a series that I will not tire of in a hurry. It'll be a series that I continuously re-read and I can't see how Maas's novels will ever disappoint me. Celaena is the female protagonist that we have all been waiting for. She's feisty, loyal, strong and is humanised through her flaws. Knowing that we have another four books in this series to come, I am so excited for the next. Bring on Heir of Fire! 


6 comments:

  1. I'm about to start the Throne of Glass series soon. I actually have to go pick the book up at the library today while I wait for mine to come in the mail. As soon as I'm done with my current read I'll read Throne of Glass! I'm so excited :)
    So how's the best way to go about reading these novella's??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best way is to read them in order, so that is: The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, The Assassin and the Healer, The Assassin and the Desert, The Assassin and the Underworld, The Assassin and the Empire because they all flow into each other :). If you've pre-ordered this book it is actually the absolute best way to read them. I'd wait to read the novellas first because it just gives the series so much more richness and depth :)

      Delete
    2. Is it basically like a prequel to the series?
      (I just order this, btw, THANK YOU ♥)

      Delete
    3. It is yeah :). No problem! I hope you love it as much as I did!

      Delete
  2. I have the separate e-books for the novellas, but the cover is so pretty on this one I think I have to own it! And I haven't even finished reading the e-books either, which is shocking because I love the series so much! I'm going to make finishing it a priority now! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for my pre-order of this to come in! I pre-ordered it months ago. It was great to hear your thoughts on what it was like to read all the novellas together like they're one book, I definitely think I'm going to give this a shot instead of reading them separately.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).