'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Wednesday, 26 February 2014

EARLY REVIEW: Flirty Dancing - Jenny McLachlan

 Flirty Dancing - Jenny McLachlan
Flirty Dancing
Bea Hogg is shy but fiery inside. When national dance competition Starwars comes to her school looking for talent, she wants to sign up. It's just a shame her best friend agreed to enter with school super-cow Pearl Harris. Bea will fight back! But when school hottie, Ollie Matthews, who also happens to be Pearl’s boyfriend, decides to enter the competition with Bea, she will have more than a fight on her hands.
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Bloomsbury*

This was such a funny, light hearted little read! With it being under 200 pages, it makes for a quick and easy read. It wasn't something I expected to enjoy as much as I did, but Flirty Dancing picked me up and transported me straight back to my childhood. I felt like I was curled up on the back seat of the car, reading all the way to where ever we were going. It was lovely and a much needed dose of humour and lightness following my previous read. 

I loved the moral lessons that were interwoven into this book. The messages of loving yourself, standing up for you believe in, remaining loyal to your friends.This mixed in with humour made for a great 12+ read. The quirky characters were lovely to read about, and it's always nice to see a happy ending! Seeing Bea really come into herself in this book was so uplifting and she is without a doubt a really great role model for younger girls. She is quiet, has uncontrollable hair, isn't super skinny but she really embraces herself by the end of the book. It's definitely the sort of message that we should be sending out to girls and women everywhere.

The relationship between Ollie and Bea is so sweet, and it was great to reminisce about my time in school even though it wasn't all that long ago! It captures the positives and negatives of school life perfectly and took me back to my memories of my first crush and all of the emotion that came with it. This is a brilliant debut my Jenny McLachlan and I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of her work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).