'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Thursday, 16 January 2014

REVIEW: Will Grayson, Will Grayson - John Green & David Leviathan

Will Grayson, Will Grayson - John Green & David Leviathan
Will Grayson, Will Grayson
One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two strangers cross paths. Two teens with the same name, running in two very different circles, suddenly find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, culminating in heroic turns-of-heart and the most epic musical ever to grace the high-school stage.
Ohhhh this book holds so many feels. I've read one book by David Levithan and one book by John Green before and they have yet to disappoint me. I get this feeling when I pick up certain books up that I just know that it's going to be a good one. This was one of these books and it definitely did not disappoint. I loved both Will Grayson's and fell straight into their lives. It just fully encased me and wasn't letting go until the very last page. The ending didn't feel like the end of a book; I wasn't ready for it. I needed so much more from these characters. Sequel anyone? Haha. 

“Maybe there's something you're afraid to say, or someone you're afraid to love, or somewhere you're afraid to go. It's gonna hurt. It's gonna hurt because it matters.” 

I adored reading from two different perspectives and couldn't wait to see how it would all work out. Both Will's have their own issues going on. John Green's will is terrified of getting close to anyone, and we see how this starts to impact on his relationships in the book. Levithan's Will is an isolated, lonely and very sad character. If there's ever a character in need of a hug, it's this Will. I could empathise with both of them so much and just wanted things to work out well for them. When characters upset them, I was absolutely livid and wanted to destroy those characters. This book is so emotion inducing; I felt like I was on a rollercoaster and just wanted to wrap them up in cotton wool and look after them.

“Shouldn't letting go be painless if you've never learned how to hold on?”

I didn't see the big event at the beginning coming. There's is nothing I can say to explain it to you but it is an absolute killer. Keep your tissues near because it near enough destroyed me. I felt so much empathy for Levithan's Will in particular. The book as a whole focuses on coming to terms with your sexuality, figuring out who you can trust and dealing with some awful issues as a teenager. Levithan's Will has depression and it's portrayal is spot on. It isn't often that books are written from the point of view of a character that is living with it - usually it is someone coming to terms with having it. I just wanted to look after him, to tell him everything works out fine in the end. To power through because things get better.

“still, what could i say? that i didn't just feel depressed - instead, it was like the depression was the core of me, of every part of me, from my mind to my bones? that if he got blue, i got black? that i hated those pills so much, because i knew how much i relied on them to live?”


Will Grayson, Will Grayson is such an emotional read. I loved most of the characters and loved to hate a few. I really can't seem to get enough of Green and Levithan lately. I need to read more of their books because they are absolutely fantastic writers. If you want to read more LGBT issues or mental health issues in books, this is a fantastic book to begin with. The issues were dealt with with such sensitivity and knowledge; I have so much compassion for these characters and I'd love to read about their lives further. I loved it. It blew me away and I cannot wait to read more work by these guys.

2 comments:

  1. Awww ditto on this hon! Lovely review, and so right. I felt the same! I loved the book so much and would absolutely recommend it, too. And I have to read more of both authors soon as well. I finished all Green's books so now it's Levithan's turn :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on the fence about whether to read this one or not, but you've definitely convinced me Leah! I think I'll be adding this one to my February TBR.
    Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).