'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Thursday, 9 January 2014

REVIEW: The Murder Complex - Lindsay Cummings

The Murder Complex - Lindsay Cummings
The Murder Complex (The Murder Complex, #1)
An action-packed, blood-soaked, futuristic debut thriller set in a world where the murder rate is higher than the birthrate. For fans of Moira Young’s Dust Lands series, La Femme Nikita, and the movie Hanna.

Meadow Woodson, a fifteen-year-old girl who has been trained by her father to fight, to kill, and to survive in any situation, lives with her family on a houseboat in Florida. The state is controlled by The Murder Complex, an organization that tracks the population with precision.

The plot starts to thicken when Meadow meets Zephyr James, who is—although he doesn’t know it—one of the MC’s programmed assassins. Is their meeting a coincidence? Destiny? Or part of a terrifying strategy? And will Zephyr keep Meadow from discovering the haunting truth about her family?
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Harper Teen*

I LOVED THIS BOOK! I was only 4% into the galley when I fell in love with it. I can't believe this is a debut. It's so well written, plotted to perfection and absolutely packed with tension - I could not put it down. I read 60% of it in one sitting before deciding that it was best to go to bed. It was the first thing I picked up this morning and I just flew through the last 40%. This is the only problem with such amazing books - they never last long enough, no matter how long they are. I've found out that there will be a sequel and a short so that's all something to look forward to for now!

The Murder Complex is a YA Dystopian thriller. It focuses on the lives of Meadow and what's left of her family, her life and how she copes in this new society. It's written from two point of views, so we also get an insight into Zephyr's life as he comes to terms with being a programmed assassin. The world that they new inhabit reminded me of a variety of books: Divergent for one. Even though it had echoes of it, it was still completely different. The synopsis isn't lying when it says that this book is blood-soaked. The society they live in is a society which doesn't bat an eyelid at murders. No one knows who is going to be alive from one day to the next - and this is all controlled by the government.

I loved all of the characters, from the good guys to the bad guys. They made the novel absolutely brilliant and unputdownable. I couldn't help but root for them constantly. I so desperately wanted thing to work out in this horrifying world. The plot is so unpredictable - I was constantly surprised by the events which took place. I still have theories on a few of the characters so I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out in the next book. It's definitely a book which leaves you waiting for more and has such a powerful ending that I'm suffering with a terrible book hangover at the moment! 

The Murder Complex is a phenomenal debut; action packed, blood-soaked, addictive and fast-paced. It's a perfect read for fans of dystopia and thrillers, but I would recommend this to everyone to read! A well deserved and solid 5* book. 


2 comments:

  1. Awesome. I had been a bit unsure about reading this one, I added it to my list anyway, but now you've just made me excited for it. Amazing books are so annoying in their unputdownable ways! Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! I love that it's bloody with lots of action. That's totally my type of read. It's also impressive that you liked all the characters. I hadn't heard of this one before, but now I'm definitely looking forward to it!

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).