'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Tuesday, 7 January 2014

REVIEW: Mother, Mother - Koren Zailckas

Mother, Mother - Koren Zailckas
Mother, Mother
Meet the Hurst Family.

Meet Violet Hurst -16 years old, beautiful and brilliant. So why is she being accused of being a danger to herself and others?

Meet her brother Will Hurst – the smartest and sweetest twelve-year old boy around. But does he really need all that medication he is being told to take?

Meet oldest sister Rose – the one who got away. She disappeared one night in her final year of school, never to be heard from again.

And then meet their mother – Josephine. Perhaps it will then all start to make sense…
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Harper Collins*

Wow, wow, wow. This book was so, so good and absolutely chilling. Mother, Mother explores the issues underlying the Hurst family, with some incredibly disturbing secrets. I have to admit I had a hunch about what had happened but I wasn't expecting the way the revelation was shared. It was such a dark, disturbing psychological read and is probably one of my favourite thrillers that I've ever read. It's difficult to write a review on this book without spoiling anything - there are so many events which made this book the 5* read that it is.

I think the description comparing to Gone Girl is a little bit of a stretch but this doesn't take anything away from the book. It was pretty horrifying reading about the abuse that these children go through, and I often found myself questioning the culprit. It was difficult to tell who was actually behind this mistreatment but this just made the book all the more compelling. It felt like I had it all figured out but then certain twists and turns would slam doubt straight into my mind. I really couldn't put it down. It was exciting, addictive and I think it will go on to be one of my favourite reads of 2014 already. The characters are easy to identify with and very believable. I found myself caring so much about what was going to happen to the children, and the final chapters of the book chilled me to the bone. It just shows how deep such manipulation can go and how it can distort people's views of others or events.

What seemed to make this book the incredible read that it is, is that the events which unfold are entirely plausible and probably happen to a fair few people. I found myself pitying many of the characters - even the father, Doug, who often appears weak. Mother, Mother confronts the darker sides of human nature in an unforgettable and occasionally uncomfortable ways. I absolutely adored this book and am looking forward to reading more from this author. I knew I had to have it as soon as I heard about it, and I'm happy to say that it absolutely blew me away. A brilliant and thrilling read!





2 comments:

  1. It sounds creepy just reading the synopsis. I'm so glad to hear it's good, I can't wait to check it out. I'm always into the psychological thrillers, and I especially love that you said this one is plausible. Thanks for the review!

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a brilliant review, Leah! I've been curious about this one for a while and now I think I'll have to check it out. Saying I'm looking forward to reading a book about abuse seems weird, but this just sounds so creepy and amazing that I really am looking forward it. I'm so glad to hear that the characters were believable and you've definitely made me even more excited for this one!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).