'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday, 20 December 2013

REVIEW: Impostor - Susanne Winnacker

Impostor by Susanne Winnacker 
Impostor (Variants, #1)
Tessa is a Variant with extraordinary abilities. She could be a hero, but all she wants to do is fall in love ...

Tessa is a Variant, able to absorb the DNA of anyone she touches and mimic their appearance. Shunned by her family, she's spent the last two years with the Forces with Extraordinary Abilities, a secret branch of the FBI. There she trains with other Variants, such as long-term crush Alec, who each have their own extraordinary ability.

When a serial killer rocks a small town in Oregon, Tessa is given a mission: she must impersonate Madison, a local teen, to find the killer before he strikes again. Tessa hates everything about being an impostor - the stress, the danger, the deceit - but loves playing the role of a normal girl. As Madison, she finds friends, romance, and the kind of loving family she'd do anything to keep.

Amid action, suspense, and a ticking clock, this super-human comes to a very human conclusion: even a girl who can look like anyone struggles the most with being herself.
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Hodder*

This is a book that I've been looking forward to reading for quite awhile, and it was such a great book! It didn't captivate me in the way that I hoped but it still made for a very quick and action packed read. It was one of those books that I couldn't read in the dark - I found myself looking over my shoulder to see if there was a serial killer sneaking up on me. It's so well written and I loved the introduction of Variants - people that have a special power. The book had an x-men feel to it and I really, really enjoyed it.

Tessa was such a kick-ass character. It was heartbreaking seeing her adjust to the family life of the girl that she is impersonating. She's a character with a troubled past making for a really heartfelt read. Tessa's ability is to be able to incorporate the DNA of anyone around her and to then transform herself into those person. This power is treated as incredibly valuable but isn't something that comes easy. The Variants are held at the FEA, a section of the FBI, in which they are trained to control and to perfect their powers. I could picture this world so vividly and am really looking forward to reading more from this series.

I loved the action in this book and the suspense was built up perfectly. I found myself constantly questioning who the serial killer could be and wondering when something terrible was going to happen. It was a very chilling read in places and realistic enough to give me chills. Tessa felt like a very real character. She was so full of emotion and I really felt for her in parts. She'd had a tough childhood and things don't seem to be getting any easier for her. The book has certain love aspects to it but it doesn't dominate the book. This was perfect for Impostor, leaving plenty of focus for the discovery of the serial killer.

Winnacker has built a realistic and fascinating world in Impostor. It ends on a bit of a cliffhanger so I'm really looking forward to reading the next in the series. I'm looking forward to seeing how things develop further with Tessa and the other Variants in the FEA!



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an extremely interesting read. I love the idea of Variants, and the DNA replication thing sounds cool. I like that there's lots of action! I hadn't heard of Impostor before but you definitely put it on my radar.

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).