'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Thursday, 19 December 2013

REVIEW: Enders - Lissa Price

Enders - Lissa Price
Enders (Starters, #2)
With the Prime Destinations body bank destroyed, Callie no longer has to rent herself out to creepy Enders. But Enders can still get inside her mind and make her do things she doesn't want to do. Like hurt someone she loves. Having the chip removed could save Callie's life - but it could also silence the voice in her head that might belong to her father. Callie has flashes of her ex-renter Helena's memories, too ...and the Old Man is back, filling her with fear. Who is real and who is masquerading in a teen body?
This is the thrilling sequel to "Starters".
 
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Random House*

Ahhh I feel disappointed. I was so hyped up for Enders. Starters was amazing so I completely expected to fall in love with Enders too. I didn't dislike the book, don't get me wrong, it just didn't feel as powerful and complete as the first book. It felt a little rushed and as if the events weren't given chance to develop properly. I don't know if this is the final book - the ending does allow it to be - but I hope not in a way. Surely this can't be it? I've just come out of reading the Divergent trilogy, so I was definitely in the mood for more grippy dystopian books, but this one fell a little short.

Enders picks up where Starters left off. Callie is living in Helena's home with Michael and Tyler. They're trying to adjust to their new lives but the Old Man is still haunting her thoughts and intruding in her mind. Things are getting a lot scarier since they can now control the bodies of the minds that they inhabit. This book was seriously creepy. The thought of being fully aware of someone else inside your head and having the power to control your body is terrifying. It's one of the scarier dystopia's that I've read purely from the loss of control that Callie has over her own body. This book is much darker than Starters with more violence, darker topics explored and completely sinister and cold blooded motives.

There are a fair few twists and turns with some shocking revelations in this book. It held so much potential but things weren't developed enough. I had a feeling early on, if this was to be the last book, that there wasn't enough pages left for everything to play out in a way I hoped it would. It felt completely rushed in parts and I lacked emotion for the characters. I felt very disappointed by this because I really loved the first book. Saying this though, it doesn't mean it was a bad book. I just wanted to see more events unfold and more explanations. Things felt a little rushed over. Maybe it's just me, I don't know. I just feel saddened by it to be honest.

Enders is as gripping a read as Starters. It's full of twists a and turns with plenty of action. The world created by Lissa Price is truly terrifying. I can't fathom the thought of having my body taken over by someone else or living in a world where the young are considered to be worthless until they come of age or become a vessel for the older members of the community. I just wish that more time had been spent on the ending of the book - it would have achieved a much higher rating for the book.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).