'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 30 December 2013

REVIEW: The Dark Heroine: Dinner With a Vampire - Abigail Gibbs

The Dark Heroine: Dinner With a Vampire - Abigail Gibbs
The Dark Heroine: Dinner With a Vampire (The Dark Heroine, #1)
One moment can change your life forever...

For Violet Lee, a chance encounter on a darkened street draws her into a world beyond her wildest imaginings, a timeless place of vast elegance and immeasurable wealth – of beautiful mansions and lavish parties – where a decadent group of friends live for pleasure alone. A place from which there is no escape...no matter how hard Violet tries.

Yet all the riches in the world can’t mask the darkness that lies beneath the gilded surface, embodied in the charismatic but dangerous Kaspar Varn.

Violet and Kaspar surrender to a passion that transcends their separate worlds – but it’s a passion that comes at a price...

This is my second time round reading this book and I enjoyed it equally as much this time round! I think what amazes me the most is that the author is such a creative and intelligent woman and is so much younger than me. I have so much envy for Abigail Gibbs! I was a little weary when I first picked it up. It was a book which focused around vampires and with the description naming it as a 'sexy' read, I was a little worried about what I was getting myself in for. I needn't have worried however, Gibbs brings a refreshing and original approach to the vampire story. Vampires aren't the centrefold for this book, it's the events which surround Violet Lee which are of main importance.

I loved the concept of the Dark Heroines. I don't want to go into it may or may not spoil this book for those of you that haven't read it. All I'm going to say is that I'm really looking forward to reading more about it in Autumn Rose (which I'm reading right now! Eek). Moving on from this, I didn't find Violet a particularly likeable character. She came across as needy and selfish in a fair few areas and I found her difficult to empathise with. Her changing emotions were tiring to keep up with but I was definitely intrigued by her many mysterious dreams and growing relationships with the vampires.

Gibbs writing isn't perfect with some sections of the narrative seeming a little jumpy in places. This doesn't effect the reading of the book at all as the story continues to draw you into the world she has created. I'm hoping we get more from Violet's point of view in the future. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how the ending of this book plays out in the next! Gibbs writing has definitely grabbed my attention - a brilliant debut and I'm looking forward to reading more of her work in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).