'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 23 December 2013

REVIEW: The Almost Girl - Amalie Howard

The Almost Girl by Amalie Howard
The Almost Girl
Seventeen-year-old Riven comes from a world ravaged by a devastating android war, a parallel world to Earth.

A Legion General, she is the right hand of the young Prince of Neospes. In Neospes, she has everything: rank, responsibility and respect. But when Prince Cale sends her away to find his long-lost brother, Caden, who has been spirited back to modern day Earth, Riven finds herself in uncharted territory.

Thrown out of her comfort zone but with the mindset of a soldier and in a race against time to bring Caden home, Riven has to learn how to be a girl in a realm that is the opposite of what she knows.

Will Riven be able to find the strength to defy her very nature? Or will she become the monstrous soldier she was destined to be?
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Strange Chemistry*


The Almost Girl is a book that I've been looking forward to read for the longest time. When the ARC's arrived in the office I couldn't wait to get my hands on one and devour it. It's safe to say that I really enjoyed this book. It was something refreshing and such a fast read despite the 400+ pages. I finished it in roughly two days and it really is a captivating book. The novel contains many of the expected aspects of a YA book: feisty protagonist with a rough history, a cute guy to drool over and some kick-ass friendships. Throw in some trust issues, mix it together with some high-contact battles, robots and brilliant one liners and you will have The Almost Girl.
I really enjoyed reading from Riven's perspective. It was great to see her character evolving from the very first page. She seems almost robotic in the first half, but as times get tougher emotion begins to seep under her mask. Riven is such a strong but yet vulnerable character. I loved that this tough ex-General has this other side. That's she is so much more than a killing machine. There are so many touching moments in the book where I was hoping that she would get through everything OK. I loved reading about all of the characters. Villains that I loved to hate and goodies that you just have to root for. The best bit about Riven's character is how she was saddling the fence between good and evil for a lot of the novel. It was fascinating to read through her conflicting thoughts and watching where her decisions took her.
Amalie Howard has built such a great book. The reasoning behind my rating is that, even though I really enjoyed it the book, it lacked the spark for me that many of my 4*+ books held. This doesn't mean I didn't like the book. There seems to be a stigma lately that anything below a 4* rating means that you didn't enjoy the book. That isn't true at all. I really enjoyed this book. It just didn't come across as well to me and didn't get my emotions pumping enough to warrant any higher. This is definitely quite an original book though and I would definitely recommend reading it. A YA science-fiction novel which packs a punch and ends on a cliff hanger; I'm really looking forward to seeing where Amalie Howard takes Riven in the next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).