'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Tuesday, 19 November 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #36

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted over at the wonderful blog; Broke and Bookish. This weeks is:


Top Ten books we'd recommend to X person



To my partner that barely reads:
Panic
Something which is completely believable and avoids any fantasy elements, I just know he would love this if only he gave it a try!

To my old dissertation supervisor:
Pantomime (Pantomime, #1)All Our Yesterdays
These are ones that I have hounded her about (and gifted her one). She lectures primarily Gender based topics so Pantomime is perfect, and doubling is huge in All Our Yesterdays so that's a guaranteed winner.

To my fellow feminists that love a good laugh:
How to Be a Woman
She makes some absolutely spot on points and is hysterical in doing so. Loved this book.

To every book lover I come across:
The Mad Scientist's Daughter
Beautiful and haunting, this book blew me away. A science fiction romance, it's such a stunning and heartfelt book. Everyone needs to read it.

Because if you haven't, we can no longer be friends:

Seriously, it speaks for itself. Your life will change after reading this series, I guarantee it. It should be in the T&C's!

For those that can't wait to get into the Christmas spirit:
Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
The cutest little book. Reminded me of the films New Years Eve, Valentines Day and Love Actually, perfect to get you into the festive season!

For those that need some fresh YA fantasy:
Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
A kick-ass heroine and an author with some serious writing skills. Really couldn't recommend this enough.

For those that love a tear-jerker:
Charm and Strange
Such a beautifully written book, it almost destroyed me!

For those that love a fairy tale retelling:
Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)
Science-fiction and a fairy tale retelling of Cinderella. This book was perfect from the first page.

16 comments:

  1. A tear-jerker for sure I'd recommend is John Green's The Fault in Our Stars. I love that book. I've had Throne of Glass sitting on my bookcase since April and haven't got to it yet; must read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I did mean to add: great list! :)

      Delete
    2. Yesss, get to it Missus!! :)

      Delete
  2. Well I'm a book lover and haven't read The Mad Scientist's Daughter...so I best add it to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually 'Dash & Lily' looks excellent as well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some great picks for a non reader! Cinder was amazing :)
    here's our TTT

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love some of these and have others on my to-read list, all except for Dash & Lily's Book of Dares.. I'll go check out your review now. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you've got some awesome picks this week. I really want to read Charm and Strange. Just adding it to my TBR list now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! I need to check out a couple of these. I've read only 3 on the list but all of them sound great. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Throne of Glass! Great choice for a YA fantasy. I really need to read Panic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lmao I love what you said about HP. Have to agree there. Blows my mind when avid readers haven't read HP!

    Cait @ Book Love

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to see that you're recommending Panic! I've been put off by the Delirium series for the time being so Panic is the way to go.

    I've never come across How to be a Woman before but it's something I'm willing to give a try.

    All Our Yesterdays, Throne of Glass and Cinder are must reads.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Because if you haven't, we can no longer be friends:" THIS. Oh I wish I thought of that :D
    Great list hun! Still have to tackle many of these myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh, Pantomime! You don't see that book around in the blogosphere, do you? It's on my shelf and I almost picked it up yesterday, then decided on something else - it is good, though? What is it like? And HA, yeah, I think the same way about the Harrry potter series. I mean, what is WRONG with people? How can you not like Harry Potter???

    ReplyDelete
  13. I put Dash & Lily on my list this week too! What a terrific book, in so many ways. And yes -- not reading HP is definitely grounds for dismissal (although my husband refuses to read the books and yet somehow we're still married!). Great list!

    Lisa
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great list! I loved what you said about HP, I feel the complete same. If my cousin doesn't love those books I will have to disown her! My TTT.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).