'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday, 22 November 2013

REVIEW: Taste of Darkness - Maria V. Snyder

Taste of Darkness by Maria V. Snyder
Taste of Darkness (Healer, #3)
She's fought death and won. But how can she fight her fears?

Avry knows hardship and trouble. She fought the plague and survived. She took on King Tohon and defeated him. But now her heart-mate, Kerrick, is missing, and Avry fears he's gone forever.

But there's a more immediate threat. The Skeleton King plots to claim the Fifteen Realms for his own. With armies in disarray and the dead not staying down, Avry's healing powers are needed now more than ever.Torn between love and loyalty, Avry must choose her path carefully. For the future of her world depends on her decision.
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*TY, Mira Ink*
*May contain spoilers for Bk 1 & 2*

I always struggle with the beginning of Maria V. Snyder's books. For some reason, it takes me roughly 30% to get fully invested in the story. It can get quite frustrating because she tells such clever and such great stories. I think it's probably a case of me not getting on too well with her writing style and adjusting to it before I fully lose myself in the book. This is the thing which has constantly prevented me giving the books a 5* rating despite a brilliant story. Taste of Darkness was no different, but it was definitely the most action packed of the three. I had a couple of problems with the ending of the book - I wasn't too happy with the outcome so it'll be interesting to see what others think!

This novel takes a much more military approach than the previous, but I found this made it even more enjoyable! I loved reading about the tactics that all of the characters were taking and then the unveiling of what was really going on. I was looking forward to finding out how certain events were going to unfold and whether Avry and Prince Ryne would succeed in stopping the destruction of the Fifteen Realms. Once the novel got going there was so much action and I found myself devouring the scenes. With a lot of travel occurring in the book, there was always something going on and never a dull moment. Some of the scenes written by Snyder were horrendous to read in the treatment of the women of one of the realms. I found myself rooting for Avry again and again to help these people.

I loved the development of the characters in this final book. Everyone came full circle and it was really interesting to read about Flea coming to terms with his new role as a Death Magician. I loved the unveiling of the mysteries that were left open in the last book - it was a relief to finally have answers to the questions that I'd been waiting on for months! Snyder is skillful in building up tension and emotion in her books and it really was a pleasure to read. Having read this series, I will definitely be making my way over to her other novels - I'm not ready to let go of this author yet!



3 comments:

  1. I love that this one is more action packed. Book one was rather passive at times, same as book two, but there things definitely picked up. Glad to see here are even better.
    Too bad about the ending; I wonder what I'll think of it. I hope I get the book soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just become really motivated to pick up the second book. It's interesting that you find the beginning slow, which was never the case with me. I tend to not pick up the sequels to these books despite how much I enjoy the first books. Either Way, I absolutely love Snyder's work.

    -Mari @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for this! I love these books soooo much. The characters in them are just fantastic. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).