'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday, 1 November 2013

REVIEW: Cracked by Eliza Crewe

Cracked by Eliza Crewe
Cracked (Soul Eater, #1)
Meet Meda. She eats people.

Well, technically, she eats their soul. But she totally promises to only go for people who deserve it. She’s special. It’s not her fault she enjoys it. She can’t help being a bad guy. Besides, what else can she do? Her mother was killed and it’s not like there are any other “soul-eaters” around to show her how to be different. That is, until the three men in suits show up.

They can do what she can do. They’re like her. Meda might finally have a chance to figure out what she is. The problem? They kind of want to kill her. Before they get the chance Meda is rescued by crusaders, members of an elite group dedicated to wiping out Meda’s kind. This is her chance! Play along with the “good guys” and she’ll finally figure out what, exactly, her ‘kind’ is.

Be careful what you wish for. Playing capture the flag with her mortal enemies, babysitting a teenage boy with a hero complex, and trying to keep one step ahead of a too-clever girl are bad enough. But the Hunger is gaining on her.

The more she learns, the worse it gets. And when Meda uncovers a shocking secret about her mother, her past, and her destiny… she may finally give into it.
I've been really looking forward to reading this book for such a long time, and having seen some absolutely brilliant reviews on it, I couldn't resist any longer. This book was absolutely brilliant! It was so witty, clever and - despite the subject - very realistic. Honestly, I absolutely fell in love with the character of Meda. I loved the inner monologue that we got with all of the activities taking place around here, it was hysterical. She's snarky, snide and brilliant to read about. Definitely one of my favorite female characters that I've read this year!

I finished this book yesterday and it was the most perfect read for Halloween. It contained a lot of dark humor, battles and demons - there isn't much more you can ask for in a Halloween read! I felt fully immersed in the world created by Eliza Crewe and was harshly brought back to reality every time I closed the book. Throughout the entire book I was fascinated to see where it was going and how Meda's character was going to develop. The plot complicates with the introduction of Jo, Uri and Chi - Templars who are training to be Crusaders. Templars are those that hunt demons in order to prevent them from murdering innocents. This is a problem as Meda - a half-demon - befriends them in order to discover more of her past.

This deception on the part of Meda is written so well. I love her snarky and sarcastic inner commentary and found myself laughing out loud throughout the book. She is such a cheeky but brilliant character; I can't wait to read more from her. One of the great things is that there is no love triangle. In fact, romance plays a very small part in Meda's life. It was great to see a female character fight her way through her battles without pining after somebody. I loved the relationships that developed between our four main characters, though. It was so well written and believable. Meda doesn't instantly turn into a good guy - she remains a demon throughout the book. It's like a breath of fresh air to be able to keep out antihero! 

I absolutely loved this book, one of the best Strange Chemistry ones that I've read so far. It's dark, enticing, laughter inducing; a page-turner and I just couldn't get enough of it. I cannot wait to see what else Meda has in store for us in the next book - hurry up next book! 

1 comment:

  1. It sounds super interesting but at the same time, very humorous! I think I am going to have to check this one out. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).