'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday, 22 November 2013

Cast a Harry Potter Spell: Survey Part #1

This was something I came across on Mel @ The Daily Prophecy's blog. It sounded so good so I thought I'd play catch up!
This survey comes from Jasmine from 
Flip that page where we can cast Harry Potter spells on books. She made a list with spells and to aim is for us to pick books we want to fix, destroy or that we love. Part One is'Cast a spell.'

cast


Reparo.
fixes damaged objects

A book that needs some serious fixing: Tough one to start off with! I think I'd have to go with Ink by Amanda Sun. It sounded so promising but it needed a lot done to it. It just fell flat in the end and there was far too much emphasis on the love aspect. 

Lumos.
creates a narrow beam of light
A book that deserves more attention: The Mad Scientist's Daughter. Without a doubt. 

Nox.
counters the effects of Lumos
An overhyped book: Time to be controversial. Divergent. I really enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but I do not see the big deal. I really don't. I've read much better! 

Accio.
summons an object from a significant distance
A book you’re anticipating: Cress by Marissa Meyer - hurry up February! 

Alohomora.
opens unlocked doors, unless bewitched
A book you want to be more open about: Probably The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling. I've read roughly half of the book prior to starting my final year at university so didn't get round to finishing it, but I think it's a book which deserves more than it has gotten. Just because it's not Harry Potter doesn't make it rubbish :). 

Expecto Patronum.
conjures an incarnation of positive feelings
A book that made you cry, or at least want to: Charm & Strange - it's so heartbreaking but such a beautiful book. 

Morsmordre.
conjures the Dark Mark
A book you wish to mark as one of your favorites: HARRY POTTER! Need you ask?! 

Petrificus Totalus.
petrifies victim
A book you wish to keep forever: See above :D 

Protego.
shield charm
An intimidating book you keep putting off: The rest of George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. I've read 1 and 2 and loved them, but I can't remember what happened and it's daunting having to go back to re-read such massive books! 

Riddikulus.
used against a boggart
A book with a deceiving synopsis: Hmm, this one is tough. After Eden probably. I though it was going to be heavy on the romance, but I was pleasantly surprised. A really brilliant book! 

Lacarnum Inflamarae
shoots fireballs
A book you wish to burn out of your mind completely: City of Bones. UGGGHHHH! I rated it far too kindly considering what I think of it. 

Wingardium Leviosa
levitates objects
A book you wish to reread: Panic by Lauren Oliver. It's bloody amazing! 

Avada Kedavra
causes instant death
Worst book EVER: A toss up between New Moon by Stephenie Meyer and Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James. Just insulting. 

3 comments:

  1. This looks like so much fun! I'll have to give it a try. I keep putting off Song of Ice and Fire too.

    Happy #FF!
    Jennifer @ Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such and awesome idea! I may have to do this :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).