'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Sunday, 27 October 2013

REVIEW: Omens - Kelley Armstrong

Omens - Kelley Armstrong
Omens (Cainsville, #1)
Twenty-four-year-old Olivia Taylor Jones has the perfect life. The only daughter of a wealthy, prominent Chicago family, she has an Ivy League education, pursues volunteerism and philanthropy, and is engaged to a handsome young tech firm CEO with political ambitions.

But Olivia’s world is shattered when she learns that she’s adopted. Her real parents? Todd and Pamela Larsen, notorious serial killers serving a life sentence. When the news brings a maelstrom of unwanted publicity to her adopted family and fiancĂ©, Olivia decides to find out the truth about the Larsens.

Olivia ends up in the small town of Cainsville, Illinois, an old and cloistered community that takes a particular interest in both Olivia and her efforts to uncover her birth parents’ past.

Aided by her mother’s former lawyer, Gabriel Walsh, Olivia focuses on the Larsens’ last crime, the one her birth mother swears will prove their innocence. But as she and Gabriel start investigating the case, Olivia finds herself drawing on abilities that have remained hidden since her childhood, gifts that make her both a valuable addition to Cainsville and deeply vulnerable to unknown enemies. Because there are darker secrets behind her new home, and powers lurking in the shadows that have their own plans for her.
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you Sphere!*

Ahhhh Kelley Armstrong, how I've missed your writing. I'm just sat here right now CRAVING the next book in the series. *Checks Goodreads* August 2014?! Ahhh, that actually causes me pain. I don't know how I'm going to just sit here and wait this one out - it might be time for a Women of the Otherworld re-read. Kelley Armstrong was my first 'proper' introduction into the world of paranormal romance/ urban fantasy and I absolutely loved it. It was great to see that, years later, I'm still as addicted to her work as I was in my teens. She is an absolutely phenomenal writer; her books suck me in and spit me back out reeling.

Omens is Armstrong's latest series and I was a little worried. I think most fans are when they see the door closed on one of their favourite series' and just pray that the author can pull out something equally as amazing. It goes without saying that Ms. Armstrong managed this with ease. I was absolutely blown away by this book. A book which reaches almost 500 pages and I devoured it in under two days. I just couldn't put it down. I have no idea where to put the book with regards to genre: mystery with elements of the supernatural but wow, just wow. There was action in every chapter and I had a huge case of "just one more chapter..." syndrome. Completely unputdownable.

The world building was excellent and I could picture every character, every house, every place that was visited vividly. I didn't have to work for these images - they came to me fully formed within the first few chapters and I was unbelievably invested in this world. Cainsville is such a bizarre little place; a place that I really would rather not visit. There is something so unbelievably unsettling about it despite its homeliness and tight knit community. I really can't wait to see how the little town and its inhabitants develop in the next book.

“First you buy me a mocha. Then you let me help you hide a body. Now you take me to a biker clubhouse. Best. Day. Ever.”

I adored Olivia and Gabriel. I love the relationship that's working between them and how it's developing. I love the humour that is in their dialogue and they are such wonderfully flawed yet strong characters. The character relationships in this novel were great. Although some are undoubtedly things that we've read before, they just work so well in this book. There is almost no use of romance in this book which is a refreshing break from the insta-loves that tend to come with a lot literature - I'm loving that this has substance to it!

I cannot recommend Omens enough, I really can't. If you have yet to ever read any of Armstrong's work, I really don't know what you're waiting for. She is an incredible writer, talented world builder and I really cannot wait for the next book.
 


2 comments:

  1. I love 'just one more chapter' XD it's the best and at the same time the worst. :D
    Look forward to reading this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of her work but I definitely can't wait to read this one. Glad you enjoyed it. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).