'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Wednesday, 9 October 2013

REVIEW: The Dream Thieves - Maggie Stiefvater

 The Dream Thieves - Maggie Stiefvater
The Dream Thieves (Raven Cycle, #2)
The second installment in the all-new series from the masterful, #1 NEW YORK TIMES bestselling author Maggie Stiefvater!

Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same. Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life. Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after…
*May contain spoilers for The Raven Boys*

Ahhhh, I loved this book. I really cannot get enough of Maggie Stiefvater's work. The only reason for the 4.5* is that it was a little slow in places, BUT I'm more than happy to wait for the action. This  book picks up where The Raven Boys left off - they are coming to terms with Adam's sacrifice and we begin to learn more about Ronan. I loved that we heard more from Ronan in this book - he is probably my favourite character. He's so complex and underneath his rough exterior he is so good.

This book focused more on the psychological aspects of our characters and I really enjoyed this. I loved learning about Ronan and Adam further. I really liked seeing how Ronan coped with his dreams and how Adam battled against this new found energy within him. It was really mysterious in parts and I found myself wondering about where this was all going. The ever looming threat of Blue kissing her true love is still present and I am just waiting on tenterhooks to see whether this will happen - it has to, surely?!

The Dream Thieves finishes on yet another cliff hanger and I really can't believe how long I have to wait for the next book - nicely played Ms. Stiefvater, nicely played! Agh. This was another beautifully written book by Maggie S., with the plot weaving so intricately done - I really couldn't put this book down. It was exciting, thought-provoking and it is such a great but dark book. If you guys haven't read this series yet, I really don't know what you're waiting for :).

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad we get to hear more about Ronan and Adam in this one! She has to kiss her true love eventually! I'm definitely going to have to get myself a copy of this soon.
    Great review Leah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping to start this series soon! I have both books and I've heard almost nothing but good things. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).