'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Sunday, 22 September 2013

REVIEW: Fifty Shades of Alice in Wonderland - Melinda DuChamp

Fifty Shades of Alice in Wonderland - Melinda DuChamp
Fifty Shades of Alice in Wonderland  (Fifty Shades of Alice Trilogy #1)
BEYOND 50 SHADES OF GREY...
Eighteen-year-old Alice is unhappy. Her boyfriend is nice and polite, but he's also quick and careless in bed, and doesn't give Alice the attention and variety she craves. But he's not entirely to blame, because Alice herself doesn't understand her own needs. She's heard about what sex is supposed to be like, but has never felt anything remotely close to what she's read about in runaway bestselling books.

BEYOND 9 1/2 WEEKS...
Then Alice follows a vibrating white rabbit down a deep, dark hole, which leads to a place beyond her wildest imagination. There are no nice boys--or girls--down here. Only those who indulge in secret, forbidden, kinky fantasies. 

BEYOND PRIDE AND PREJUDICE AND ZOMBIES...
Alice is confused and frightened and... aroused. She is bound. Teased. Spanked. Toyed. Brought to the limits of sexual endurance. And during her trials, she begins to understand her body's needs for the very first time.

BEYOND THUNDERDOME...
This isn't the fairy tale you grew up reading. This isn't for children at all.
This is for those with dark desires, who wish to explore erotic excess beyond the plain vanilla of everyday life. Follow Alice down the rabbit hole, if you dare...

Fifty Shades of Alice in Wonderland is slightly longer than the Lewis Carroll version, roughly 32,000 words or 115 paper pages long. Melinda DuChamp is the pen name of someone you may know.

Whenever I attempt to write this review, I just burst out laughing. Despite my rating, this isn't as insulting as it originally looks to the classic Alice in Wonderland. It's a parody of Alice and 50 Shades of Grey, it isn't meant to be taken seriously and it really is hysterical. The reasoning for my low rating is that I never feel quite comfortable reading thing like this. They just leave me feeling really weird, as if I've just witnessed something that I most definitely shouldn't have. There is nothing to the characters, they are literally just vaginas and penises. There is nothing else to them, they have no personality, they have no nothing. At a push I could argue that this is Alice's journey to womanhood through learning to embrace her sexuality through orgasming. A lot.

It is an incredibly fast read and it is quite entertaining. DuChamp continues the use of a variety of rhymes and riddles, succeeds in keeping the characters in character yet makes them even more perverse than what they are originally. It is so weird to read an Alice adaptation like this. Alice is still incredibly naive until the  very last chapter, despite the events of every other chapter. Rather than being frustrating it's just amusing. It continue with the naivety that Alice keep throughout the original. I don't really know what to say about this book. Haha. I'm gobsmacked to be honest. It's got some pretty hardcore scenes, things that made me laugh out loud at the absurdity of it all.

It's definitely a different read! I'm not sure if I'd go out of my way to recommend it to people. It's good for a laugh, but if erotica makes your toes curl and you're easily offended, this is definitely not for you. I will say though, it is clear that this is a parody so I wouldn't be overly offended by this adaptation of a classic. It isn't meant to be something that is taken seriously.


2 comments:

  1. Geez hahaha. I might get to this one just because I am curious. But I will be in no hurry. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been hearing about this book! Honestly I love the cover... and I am glad you had fun with it. I love retellings!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).