'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday, 27 September 2013

REVIEW: Broken - A. E. Rought

Broken - A. E. Rought
Broken (Broken, #1)
A string of suspicious deaths near a small Michigan town ends with a fall that claims the life of Emma Gentry's boyfriend, Daniel. Emma is broken, a hollow shell mechanically moving through her days. She and Daniel had been made for each other, complete only when they were together. Now she restlessly wanders the town in the late Fall gloom, haunting the cemetery and its white-marbled tombs, feeling Daniel everywhere, his spectre in the moonlight and the fog.

When she encounters newcomer Alex Franks, only son of a renowned widowed surgeon, she's intrigued despite herself. He's an enigma, melting into shadows, preferring to keep to himself. But he is as drawn to her as she is to him. He is strangely... familiar. From the way he knows how to open her locker when it sticks, to the nickname she shared only with Daniel, even his hazel eyes with brown flecks are just like Daniel's.

The closer they become, though, the more something inside her screams there's something very wrong with Alex Franks. And when Emma stumbles across a grotesque and terrifying menagerie of mangled but living animals within the walls of the Franks' estate, creatures she surely knows must have died from their injuries, she knows.

This book was such a fun read. I think it's probably the first re-working of Frankenstein that I've read but I really loved it. It always helps that I love Frankenstein too. When I first started reading it, I was a little apprehensive. It felt like it was going to be a little too heavy on the romance for me, but once the plot is fully revealed I was completely captivated and just couldn't put it down. In fact, I'm reading Tainted, the second book in the series, right now! 

Broken is an incredibly dark book with us coming into contact with Emma after she has lost her boyfriend. Daniel hadn't long died before the beginning of the book and most of the book follows Emma and her getting to grips with death, alongside getting used to the new guy at school, Alex. In many ways this book is a very cliche high school young adult book, but with a dark twist. I really enjoyed it. I will admit, I predicted what was going to happen and what the ins and outs were from early on, but there are still some horrific surprises throughout the book which had me flipping the pages like I don't know what!

The characters were incredibly likeable and believable. Occasionally Alex got on my nerves because he is such a cliche. Tall, mysterious, incredibly good looking new guy to school. It had me concerned, I will be honest. I fully expected it to develop into a book that many of us have read a million times before, but it really didn't. It was exciting with some nail-biting scenes and plenty of drama which kept me occupied! I loved that Emma didn't completely ditch her best friend either, Bree. It's something which happens a lot in YA - boy comes along, friendship disappears. I'm really glad that this didn't happen because Bree is really fun to read!

The writing style is simple and great. I loved the world building of the book, and as I said above, I just couldn't wait to get into Tainted. Another great book from Strange Chemistry! 

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love dark stories and retellings of old classics. I actually haven't heard about this one, but I definitely want to get my hands on it now. I love Strange Chemistry! Really glad you enjoyed this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep thinking I want to try this one out! love the new blog design!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).