'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Wednesday, 4 September 2013

REVIEW: Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
Alice's Adventures In Wonderland
'Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it, "and what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?"' So begins the tale of Alice, following a curious White Rabbit down a rabbit-hole and falling into Wonderland. A fantastical place, where nothing is quite as it seems: animals talk, nonsensical characters confuse, Mad Hatter's throw tea parties and the Queen plays croquet. Alice's attempts to find her way home become increasingly bizarre, infuriating and amazing in turn. A beloved classic, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland has continued to delight readers, young and old for over a century.

This was such a bizarre but really amazing little book. At just over a hundred pages long, Alice in Wonderland made for a quick and very sweet read. I found myself smiling at so many different scenes written by Lewis Carroll with one of my favourite scenes being the tea party with the Mad Hatter, the March Hair and the Doormouse. It's absolute genius and I can't believe that I've waited so long to read this little book!

“If everybody minded their own business, the world would go around a great deal faster than it does.”  

I wish I had read it as a child. It's full of adventure and such bizarre little scenes that I can definitely see why people consider Alice to be totally mad. I've watched the Disney Alice in Wonderland and the Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland and loved them both, so I really don't know why it took me so long to pick this book. I'm so glad that I did though. The writing was simple and flowed beautifully. I loved the little songs and poems throughout - so inventive! The best bit about this edition though was the beautiful little pictures that appeared on every other page. They depicted the scenes nicely and it was really great to see how others saw the various characters in the books. I still had my own version of them though!

“If you drink much from a bottle marked 'poison' it is certain to disagree with you sooner or later.” 
 
It's lines like this that made reading this book so fun. I loved the quirks that came with it and the colourful language. It's a book that is very unusual but right up my street. With it being such a short book, I'm sure that it'll be read again and again. I can't praise it enough. All of the characters - even the Queen of Hearts and the Duchess - were likable. I loved the Cheshire Cat, I loved the Hatter, all of them. It's impossible to dislike them; the Queen's exclamations of 'off with his head!' were so bizarre and ridiculous that I just could not dislike her. It's made me appreciate the adaptations that I have seen of them - they are so faithful to the book!

“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    
 
There are some great messages of wisdom in this book tucked away amongst all of the nonsense. I loved the little letter that Lewis Carroll wrote to the readers of the book at the end. It was brilliant and definitely added something to the book. A really lovely book, I recommend that you all read it :). 
 
Classics Retold: 1/6

3 comments:

  1. I didn't love this book! I know I know.. but it was a little strange for me. But I still love the concept and of course the spin-offs!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book and how bizarre it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this book! It was fun and weird, full of great quotes. And I loved the movie, especially Johnny Depp as a Mad Hatter ;) (we're all mad here, haha!)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).