'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 26 August 2013

REVIEW: Skulk - Rosie Best

Skulk - Rosie Best
Skulk
When Meg witnesses the dying moments of a shapeshifting fox and is given a beautiful and powerful stone, her life changes forever. She is plunged into the dark world of the Skulk, a group of shapeshifting foxes.

As she learns about the other groups of shapeshifters that lurk around London – the Rabble, the Horde, the Cluster and the Conspiracy – she becomes aware of a deadly threat against all the shapeshifters. They must put aside all their enmity and hostility and fight together to defeat it.
*Received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Strange Chemistry*
This definitely brought something new to me! The only shapeshifters that I had encountered prior to Skulk was werewolves and a tiger. It was really great to read something about such normal, everyday animals. Skulk begins through telling us about the life that Meg leads. Her parents are incredibly rich and powerful, but are either neglectful or abusive. The scenes between Meg and her mother are incredibly difficult to read, they display some truly nasty scenes of child abuse and I really hoped that her mother would have the sense knocked into her at some point in the novel.

In order to rebel against her 'perfect' life, Meg becomes a graffiti artist and tags various buildings in the early hours. It is through this that Meg is sucked into this world of shifters and becomes one herself. Through the novel we see her come up against this deadly threat against the Shifters. It was great to see Meg come into her own and to develop confidence as the novel went on. She is such a normal girl. It was something really nice to read, to be honest. I loved the relationships forged between characters and I also loved reading about the conflicts.

The only thing I didn't really like about it was the irrelevance of the spray painting - in a way. The way it is used later in the novel seems truly absurd and very unbelievable. I know I'm reading a book about shifters but I just didn't feel that paint would be able to play the role that it did in the novel. A pet peeve I have is when characters easily accept things that happen to them. This happened with Meg an shifting. I would be freaking out if I suddenly turned into a fox. It didn't make the novel any less enjoyable though, which is the main thing really :).

A dark tale about abuse, trust and loyalty, I highly recommend to lovers of the paranormal :). 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).