'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Monday, 26 August 2013

REVIEW: All Our Yesterdays - Cristin Terrill

All Our Yesterdays - Cristin Terrill
All Our Yesterdays
Em is locked in a bare, cold cell with no comforts. Finn is in the cell next door. The Doctor is keeping them there until they tell him what he wants to know. Trouble is, what he wants to know hasn't happened yet. 

Em and Finn have a shared past, but no future unless they can find a way out. The present is torture - being kept apart, overhearing each other's anguish as the Doctor relentlessly seeks answers. There's no way back from here, to what they used to be, the world they used to know. Then Em finds a note in her cell which changes everything. It's from her future self and contains some simple but very clear instructions. Em must travel back in time to avert a tragedy that's about to unfold. Worse, she has to pursue and kill the boy she loves to change the future.
*ARC received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you, Bloomsbury*
This book completely blew me away! I began reading it last night and finished it just now and I just, I cannot even process how much I absolutely loved it! It was fresh, exciting, action packed, amazing characters, amazing concept AGH I just, I don't even know how to write this review. I feel completely bizarre being back in the real world and wow I wish that book wouldn't end! I could have read so much more of it but I cannot. It's been such a long time since I have read a book that I wish wouldn't end, but this is it!


So yeah, it has left me in a bit of a predicament where all I can do is gush! The book was written from two different point of views but has a hell of a twist! Em, Finn, Marina, James, I just loved them all. I loved the flaws of the characters and I just loved them. I felt completely torn apart within the final few chapters and was praying for more. These are characters that make it easy to fall in love with them and to pray for everything to work out for everyone. With it having elements of dystopia within it I was captivated and could not put it down.

“But progress is always dangerous, isn't it? Most of the time, walls don't get dismantled brick by brick. Someone has to crash through them.”

Terrill is such a brilliant writer. The concept of time travel and the dangers it imposed was wonderful to read. It highlighted the dangers of progress in certain areas. It was gripping, thrilling, I couldn't get enough! I loved the way she was putting across the message that we should all embrace and love ourselves, something which is incredibly difficult to manage in today's society. All Our Yesterdays encapsulates everything that I love in a book, well-rounded characters, tension, action, a solid plot, emotional scenes and beautiful writing. 

I adored this book, and I love that an interview with Cristin in the back of the book says that she is working on another book with these characters! Ahhhh, cannot wait for that!


4 comments:

  1. I adored this book as well, and completely didn't expect to. I hear there are some prequels floating around/on the cards - I need to do a bit more investigating around that.

    Sarah

    P.S. Are you back from dissertation land?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am review wise but not fully on the meme front (except Harry Potter!). Just couldn't stay away :). x

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG your love for this book makes me want to run to the bookstore RIGHT now and get a copy of this...or you know, order it online XD I've heard great things about this one so far but reading the quote you shared and your praise for the writing style and awesome characters means I'll be pushing this one up on my TBR! Fabulous review ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book! :D Glad you did too!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).