'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Tuesday, 16 July 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #25

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted over at the wonderful blog; Broke and Bookish. This weeks is : Top Ten authors who deserve more recognition. In no particular order:

Terri-Lynne Smiles, author of Foreseen. 
I read this book in exchange for an honest review from the author. It was absolutely brilliant and I cannot wait to read the next one. An incredible science fiction novel. She honestly deserves so much praise for her debut. 

Gemma Malley, author of The Declaration series and more.
I think I got into Malley a little later than a lost of people, so I'm not sure if she had a lot of recognition at the time. I loved The Declaration series so much and she deserves so much recognition for this. A dystopian series, it is so gripping and I could not put it down.

Cassandra Rose Clarke, author of The Mad Scientist's Daughter.
Words cannot describe how much I loved this book! I honestly didn't expect to feel so much compassion for robots and for the complications of human/robot relations. An absolutely amazing read and this author is absolutely phenomenal. Blew me away. I cannot wait to read her The Assassin's Curse series. 

Abigail Gibbs, author of Dinner with a Vampire.
Not only is Abigail an undergraduate at Oxford university, but she has also penned this wonderful book! I found it incredibly interesting and quite different from other books that I have read. It's a fairy light read and I really enjoyed it. She certainly deserves more recognition!

Sarah Waters, author of Tipping the Velvet, Fingersmith, The Little Stranger and more. 
I adore Sarah Waters. She is so incredibly intelligent and talented, I really cannot get enough of her books. Her writing deals in so many issues; issues such as sexuality, class structure but she also has so much wit in her work it's wonderful to read.

Any Other Name (The Split Worlds #2)Emma Newman, author of The Split Worlds series.
An incredibly talented author signed by Angry Robot Books, Newman's series is incredibly addictive with absolutely gorgeous covers to match. Not only does she create wonderful books, but she runs a site which, as well as talking about various things also assists in helping people battle anxiety (something I am so grateful for). She also runs podcasts and writes many mini stories to go alongside the series as freebies for her readers. Emma deserves a lot of recognition for all of this! 
Here's a link to my review of Book #1 and Book #2.

Angela Carter, author of Shadow Dance, The Sadeian Woman, The Magic Toyshop and more. 
I have studied Carter quite a lot during my undergrad and postgrad, and it is fair to say that despite already having quite a lot of recognition in academia, she certainly deserves more. She was so talented and incorporates so many different things into her texts. She is definitely well worth a read.

Susan Ee, author of Angelfall.
Another very talented author. I am pleased to be a member of a team which assists in the promotion of this novel. A young adult dystopian, it is highly addictive and filled to the brim with action. If you guys have yet to read this book, I really do not know what you are waiting for! If you're UK readers, it is in Tesco right now, go go go! :).

Bethany Wiggins, author of Stung.
I was sent a copy of this book by Bloomsbury and I absolutely loved it. Another Young Adult Dystopian but such a fast paced and fresh read. I kept turning the pages, eager to find out what would happen to the characters and not one bit of it felt stale.

Liza Klaussmann, author of Tigers in Red Weather.
Tigers in Red WeatherI picked this book up on a whim from Asda awhile back. Not a book I would usually read but the cover kept jumping out at me and I couldn't resist. It was AMAZING! Such a wonderful debut which follows the path of five different characters between the 1940's-1960's. I loved it and cannot wait to see what she writes next. 

Extras:
Dan Wells, Amy Bird, Christian Schoon, S. M. Boyce, T. L. Costa, S. J. Watson, Julianna Scott.

I've just realised that all of my books are by female authors! Yikes! I certainly need to start nabbing up some more male written books just for a change. Do any of you guys catch yourself sticking to a certain gender? Completely subconsciously! 

12 comments:

  1. I still need to read Angelfall, I've only heard good things about it.

    Most of my books are written by women, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a list! I never even got 10, barely 5. I don't know majority of these either. I will have to look them up. :D

    For more male authors try Stroud and Haddon from my list. Great authors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great top ten. I loved Angelfall, Susan Ee is very talented!

    My TTT:
    http://evelinesbooks.blogspot.nl/2013/07/top-ten-tuesday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing list. I've been wanting to read The Mad Scientist's Daughter for a while now. Moved to the top of the pile! And I have the first book in the Split World's series. I'm glad it's so well liked. Can't wait to dig into that one. Really great list!!!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep seeing Angelfall a lot this week. I'll push it up on my to-read list. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I will check out every single author you have on here (except me, ha ha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo, I hope you enjoy them! Thanks for stopping by :D.

      Delete
  7. How did I forget about Susan Ee?! I loved Angelfall and have recommended it to anyone who will sit still long enough to listen. I'm so excited that the sequel is coming out in November. Great list...lots of authors I need to add to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of most of these, but I have seen ANGELFALL floating around Tumblr, and it looks interesting. Thanks for stopping by!

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read Angelfall, which is amazing, but I haven't read the rest. I'll have to check on some of these. Great list!

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard great things about Angelfall and Stung is on my TBR.

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard of so many of these, and even own a few, I just haven't read them yet! I need to get on that. Thanks for visiting my TTT last week.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).